Halfway through summer, halfway through the year, and the editors at Amazon are already offering a list of the year's best, a mix of fiction and nonfiction.
1. The Passage, Justin Cronin
2. The Irresistible Henry House, Lisa Grunwald
3. Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory, Peter Hessler
4. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Stieg Larsson
5. The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine, Michael Lewis
6. Matterhorn, Karl Marlantes
7. The Imperfectionists, Tom Rachman
8. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot
9. Just Kids, Patti Smith
10. The Lonely Polygamist, Brady Udall
I've started two (the Cronin and the Rachman) and abandoned them, the Rachman after only a chapter. To be fair, others who have finished these books have urged me to forge ahead.
I am unlikely to pick up Just Kids or Matterhorn or Country Driving or The Big Short. Which leaves me with Henrietta Lacks and Henry House, both of which intrigue me.