Over the past few weeks I've gotten notices about improved wireless coverage in certain parts of South Florida for AT&T and Verizon.
AT&T announced it will add about 100 new cell sites throughout Florida this year to expand its 3G coverage. AT&T has invested about $725 million in its Florida network since 2006. As part of this year's investment, the company plans to introduce 3G service to Ocala, Panama City, St. Augustine, Palm Coast, Palatka and Lake City. It's also expanding 3G in Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Cape Canaveral and Melbourne.
Here are some of AT&T's new cell sites for South Florida:
- Along the Florida Turnpike in Homestead
- The commercial area to the east of Tamiami Airport, S.W. 137th Avenue and the expanding residential areas in the vicinity (Kendall)
- The Crossings shopping plaza at Killian Parkway and S.W. 127th Avenue in Kendall and the surrounding residential neighborhood
- Downtown Miami
- The industrial area near the Miami International Airport
- Along State Road 836, Miami International Mall, and the commercial areas to the east
- The Flagler business park in Hialeah, Doral, and the Florida Turnpike between Okeechobee Road and N.W. 41st Street
- Hialeah Hospital complex and the surrounding medical buildings and dense residential area
- Downtown and western Parkland and Heron Bay in Broward County
- Along A1A in Lighthouse Point
- Central Miramar
- Pembroke Lakes Mall, Pines Boulevard and surrounding dense shopping/residential areas, west of I-75 between 184th and 102nd Avenue and northern Pembroke Pines
- Southwest Ranches, west of I-75
Monroe County will also see improvements in Key West and Lower Matecumbe Key, and Palm Beach County will see improvements in Boynton Beach, Palm Springs, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach and West Palm Beach. Here is the list of the other parts of Florida that will also see AT&T 3G improvements.
Verizon has pumped up its 3G service in Miami-Dade County with two new cell sites in Homestead:
- On SW 162nd Avenue, just south of the Turnpike Homestead Extension (West Dade Expressway)
- Along US 1 for several new residential communities and businesses in the area
Verizon also installed a new cell site north of the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport. Aside from the airport, it will also serve the residences and golf courses in Palm Aire. Verizon invested $1.8 billion in Florida since the company was formed.