« All These Critters Need Homes | Main | Another Microchip Success Story »

October 06, 2008

Bad Stuff for Dogs: Xylitol

This checks out on Snopes.com as true:

"Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 LB dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her  face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained . I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called our vet.  She said to bring her in immediately.
Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there.  Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give=2 0her a charcoal drink  to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then  they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us.
Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared.
Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital.  After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even had known why.  Vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83451b26169e20105355c73b0970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Bad Stuff for Dogs: Xylitol:

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright | About The Miami Herald | Advertise