With the current state of the economy and rising pet care costs, consumers have become more frugal with their spending. If not closely watched, the medical fees associated with caring for a pet is an expenditure that can quickly spiral out of control. Although we treat our pets essentially as our children and would never compromise on their healthcare, Heidi Ganahl, CEO and founder of Camp Bow Wow and Home Buddies by Camp Bow Wow has provided the below tips to show that there ARE ways to cut costs, without cutting the quality of care provided.
“Tips for Reducing Pet Care Costs Without Compromising the Care of Your Pet”
- · Get Fido to the Vet: Preventative veterinary care like annual vet visits will help catch help problems in their early stages, saving you time and money in the long run.
- · Give Fido Regular Check-Ups: Weekly at-home check-ups will go a long way:
o Check under Fido’s fur for any lumps, flakes or scabs
o Check Fido’s eyes and ears for signs of redness or discharge
o Clean Fido’s ears and brush his teeth
o Make note of any changes in Fido’s eating habits
o Check Fido’s breath to make sure he is not experiencing any digestive issues
- · Vaccinate Fido Wisely: Not all pets have to have a standard round of vaccines. In order to not incur unnecessary costs, speak with Fido’s vet to determine which vaccines he really needs.
- · Train Fido: An obedient Fido is a healthy Fido. Providing Fido with proper training, like Camp Bow Wow’s premier dog training program: Bow Wow Behavior Buddies, will ensure that he is calmer in social scenarios. Teaching Fido to “sit” instead of running into a potentially dangerous situation will prevent you from emergency as well as emotional costs.
- · Let Fido Play: Prevent Fido from feeling pent-up (and save money from ruined furniture or stressed-induced illness), by giving him plenty of play time. Take Fido to a doggie day care or overnight camp, like Camp Bow Wow, which has all-inclusive Day Care Packages that provide discounted pricing. If you aren’t able to take Fido anywhere, Camp Bow Wow’s in-home pet care program, Home Buddies offers discount packages and will keep Fido entertained while the family is out.
- · Feed Fido Healthy Meals: Feeding Fido premium-quality age-appropriate dog food is an upfront cost that will save you money in the end. Nulo’s all-natural pet food with whole ingredients is a great choice to enhance Fido’s coat and give Fido more energy, all resulting in less trips to the vet. Cheaper dog food contains less digestible fillers, which lack nutrients and can also cause allergies or digestive problems.
- · Don’t Overfeed Fido: No matter how healthy Fido’s food is, don’t overdo it with meals. As pet obesity is a growing concern (44% of dogs and 57% of cats (84 million animals) obese or overweight in the United States), moderate portions will save you money on food as well as costs associated with caring for an obese pet. To further combat pet obesity, Camp Bow Wow hosted a “Fitness Challenge”. Check out participant’s success stories to see how they got back into shape with their furry friend.
- · Groom Fido At Home: Regularly brushing Fido and trimming his nails will not only keep him content and happy, but it will also save you on visits to the groomer.