« Dog bites cop, cop kills dog | Main | Kids run over all too often »

Time to switch peanut butters

Even your peanut butter isn't safe. A few people in South Florida think they got salmonella from the tainted spread (and, shameless plug, you can read all about it in the Miami Herald!).

Here is how one person, Christopher Blanco, 20, of Pembroke Pines, described his peanut butter experience:

Blanco got the peanut butter -- an 18 ounce jar of Honey Roasted cream -- late last month. He ate a little before bed and had some more for lunch at work. Within a few hours, he felt light headed. Blanco left work, slept until about 9 p.m. and woke up feeling like he could barely move.

Blanco started throwing up and shivering. His temperature hit 103 degrees. Blanco thinks he threw up about eight times.

He called his parents and they rushed him to a nearby clinic. Nurses gave him an IV and a prescription for antibiotics. Blanco's bill totaled $2,499.

One of the nurses told him he probably got sick from something he ate. Blanco guessed it was a cheeseburger from a few days ago.

Then Blanco's dad, John, saw a television news story about the peanut butter. He tried calling the company, but the telephone line was busy.

The Blancos still have the peanut butter jar and hope to get it tested. A little help with the clinic bill also would be nice.

Christopher Blanco added he has switched to buying Goober peanut butter and jelly.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83451b26169e200d8353ed89b53ef

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Time to switch peanut butters:

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.

-
 
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright | About The Miami Herald | Advertise