« Woman buckles in beer, not child | Main | Of Lil' Boosie and ACLU-sie »

Website zeroes in on crime (UPDATED X2)

This is very cool. A website called CrimeReports.com combines Google Maps and crime statistics to show details about every car break-in and shooting in your city.

Well, only if you live in Pembroke Pines. So far, Pines is the only city in Florida being tracked on CrimeReports.

The PPines Police Department, like about 40 others across the country, pays CrimeReports between $100 and $200 a month to extract their latest crime data and load it onto the site, according to this AP article.   

I've just been playing around on it a few minutes, and it's pretty awesome and user-friendly. Kinda has a similar feel to Zillow.com, 'cept it deals in murder and mayhem, not property values and taxes.

The details -- clicking on a crime opens up a bubble on the map showing exact what happened and where -- are impressive, and you can even e-mail specific incidents to a friend.

I put a call in to a Pines police spokesman to find out more about why the department signed up for this site. Here's hoping other South Florida departments do the same.

Update: Pembroke Pines Maj. David Golt called back to say his department is experimenting with CrimeReports on a trial basis. "We wanted to see if it makes it easier for residents and other people in the community to have access to what's going on," he said.

Update 2: A publicist for CrimeReports.com helpfully pointed out that there is a quick form where you can send an invitation to your local police chief or sheriff telling them about the site.

*Thanks to Al's Morning Meeting at the Poynter Institute for the tip.

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83451b26169e200e5501d26d78833

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Website zeroes in on crime (UPDATED X2):

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Sherry

Louis kestenbaum A satmar Chasid is being accused. WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A teenage girl has filed a $50 million lawsuit against a New York billionaire, saying he sexually abused her when she was 14.

Louis Kestenbaum”s attorney says the allegations are false and motivated by money. Kestenbaum is also the CEO of Fortis properties and the ODA a goverment funded organisation in the williamsburg section of Brooklyn NY

The girl, now 17, claims Louis Kestenbaum invited her to his Florida mansion in 2005 to perform a massage for $300. The lawsuit, filed in federal court, claims he demanded she remove her clothes, then sexually assaulted her.

The girl, her father and stepmother are seeking more than $50 million.

Joel kestenbaum the son of Louis kestenabum had no comments.

david

Any fool can see that this post about Louis Kestenbaum is a fake.
It takes about a minute to see that the real Associated Press article about the charges isn’t about Kestenbaum at all, but someone named Jeffrey Epstein. Here is a link to the real article:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/jan/24/new-york-billionaire-accused-2nd-lawsuit-sex-minor.

Who kind of animals would say these things? Everyone in the Jewish community knows it’s the Schlesingers, Victor and Gershy, and their computer guy Zilu Sofer, who are trying to slander Kestenbaum’s name. Both the Jewish community and non-Jews know that the Schlesingers are crooks and criminals, and can see how stupid they are to take an article about someone else and change the names around just for spite.

Crime Reports

This was a tricky case. Louis Kestenbaums attorney said the allegations were false and motivated by money. Online maps showing crime hot spots, high visibility bibs for criminals doing community punishment and Friday night youth clubs in deprived areas were proposed yesterday as part of a drive to rebuild confidence in the criminal justice system.

The comments to this entry are closed.

-
 
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright | About The Miami Herald | Advertise