A day after using their only pick on the second best left-handed pitcher available in the draft according to Baseball America, the Marlins used their first three selections on Tuesday to reel-in talented position players out of high school.
At 5-11, 190 pounds, Romero is a player Baseball America listed as a second-round talent with above average power who will likely have to make the switch over to 3rd base because he lacks the quickness to stay in the middle of the infield. Romero hit .400 with 18 RBI and five homers as a senior.
The Marlins then spent their next two picks on outfielders -- Kolby Copeland (3rd round compensation, 127th overall) out of Parkway High in Bossier City, La. and Austin Dean (4th round, 137th overall).
Copeland (6-0, 190), according to Baseball America, "has tools that are somewhat comparable to first-round candidate Courtney Hawkins. Hawkins has more raw power, but some think Copeland is a better pure hitter. He runs well and has solid arm and fielding tools to with his considerable offensive potential."
Signed to a scholarship at Texas, Dean (6-1, 190) is a player with above average power.
According to Baseball America: "He may not be Exhibit A in a how-to video on batting stances and approaches, but Dean's ability to punish a baseball is the main reason he's in the Top 100. Dean has quick hands and strength, which leads to above-average raw power. He does it with an unorthodox swing and there are, as a result, some holes, but when he makes contact, it's hard. He goes all-out at all times, which allows him to use his solid average speed well. He's likely limited to first base or maybe left field at the next level because of fringy defensive tools. His size, bat speed and power potential lead to a Jonny Gomes comparison and the team that takes him will hope he lives up to that billing."
The draft concludes Wednesday with Rounds 16-40.
Here's a list of all the Marlins picks on the Second Day of the Draft:
- Avery Romero, SS, R/R, 5-11, 195, St. Augustine Menendez High, 3rd round, 104th overall VIDEO
- Kolby Copeland, CF, L/R, 6-0, 190, Parkway High, La., 3rd round compensation, 127th overall VIDEO
- Austin Dean, OF, R/R, 6-1, 190, Klein Collins High, Texas, 4th round, 137th overall VIDEO
- Austin Nola, SS, R/R, 6-0, 185, LSU, 5th round, 167th overall
- Anthony Gomez, SS, R/R, 6-0, 185, Vanderbilt, 6th round, 197th overall
- Ryan Newell, RHP, 6-2, 185, Shorter U, Ga., 7th round, 227th overall
- Drew Steckenrider, RHP, 6-5, 215, University of Tennessee, 8th round, 257th overall
- Nicholas Wittgren, RHP, 6-3, 210, Purdue University, 9th round, 287th overall
- Ron Miller, 3B, R/R, 5-11, 205, Junipero Serra High, Calif., 10th round, 314th overall
- Matthew Milroy, RHP, 6-2, 185, University of Illinois, 11th round, 347th overall
- Christian Rivera, SS, R/R, 5-10, 165, Escuela Nueva Superior, 12th round, 377th overall
- Blake Logan, RHP, 6-1, 225, Eastern Oklahoma State JC, 13th round, 407th overall
- Michael Vaughn, C, R/R, 6-2, 190, Pacific University, 14th round, 437th overall
- Cody Keefer, OF, L/R, 6-1, 185, UCLA, 15th round, 467th overall