« Like Reyes and Buehrle, Carlos Delgado assured he wouldn't be traded | Main | Ruggiano: I can protect Stanton, play CF »

Buehrle: Marlins "lied" to him

      Mark Buehrle took a parting shot at the Marlins on Wednesday, saying team officials lied to him.

      "I'm upset with how things turned out in Miami," Buehrle said in the written statement. "Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I'm putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career."

      Buehrle and four others players were traded by the Marlins to the Toronto Blue Jays. Buehrle, who bought a home in Broward County after signing a 4-year deal, spent only one season with the Marlins before being dealt.

      Sources said Buehrle was told he did not have to worry about being traded.

      Buehrle's agent, Jeff Berry, also issued the following statement:

      "In an off-season of change and uncertainty, the overriding factor in Mark's signing with Miami was Ozzie Guillen and the level of comfort his presence provided Mark and his family. While the Marlins were the highest bidder, baseball had already made Mark a wealthy man, so money was far from the most important factor in his decision. Throughout the recruiting process, the Marlins made repeated assurances about their long-term commitment to Mark and his family and their long-term commitment to building a winning tradition of Marlins baseball in the new stadium. This was demonstrated by their already completed signings of Ozzie, Heath Bell and Jose Reyes.

     "At the same time, given the Marlins history, we were all certainly aware of and voiced concern about the lack of no-trade protection. This is unquestionably a business, and signing with the Marlins was a calculated risk. Mark held up his end of the bargain; unfortunately, the same can't be said of the Marlins.

     "That said, Mark is a consummate professional and is looking forward to joining his new teammates in Toronto."

Comments