« Marlins spring training schedule features home games with Venezuela, Yankees, Red Sox | Main | The latest on Yunel Escobar »

Source: Yunel Escobar may be "on the move"; Ricky Nolasco wants out

     NASHVILLE -- While the Marlins have spoken to Yunel Escobar about switching positions, it now appears almost certain that he'll be switching teams, instead.

     A source said Monday that Escobar, whom the Marlins obtained in their 12-player blockbuster with Toronto, could be "on the move" again. The Marlins are in serious trade discussions with at least two teams for the infielder, the source said, and a deal could be completed as early as tonight.

     One of the teams that could be interested: Oakland. If the A's are unable to re-sign Stephen Drew, Escobar could be a fallback option for them. Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports reported that the Tampa Bay Rays are one of the teams interested in Escobar.

     The Marlins have spoken to Escobar about moving from shortstop to third base, and Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told reporters last week that the player was "good with it." The Marlins intend to play Adeiny Hechavarria -- also obtained in the Toronto trade -- at short, making Escobar expendable.

      Meanwhile, Matt Sosnick, the agent for Ricky Nolasco, confirmed an ESPN report that the pitcher wants out of Miami.

      Nolasco, whose $11 million salary next season would make him the highest-paid player on the Marlins, is entering the final year of his contract. Sosnick would not say whether Nolasco has requested a trade.

      As for Giancarlo Stanton, who has previously expressed his disfavor with the team's roster tear down, Beinfest told reporters earlier tonight that he has spoken with the slugger's agent, Joel Wolfe, but refused to specify what was said.

      Asked directly if Stanton has requested a trade via his agent, Beinfest replied: "I'll keep those conversations private. Not going to go into any conversations I've had with Joel. I've not talked to (Stanton). I'm not going to talk about anything we've talked about with Joel, out of respect to (Stanton) and just being professional."

      Asked if he was concerned about Stanton, Beinfest replied: "I think you have to have some concern. Is it grave concern? I think (Stanton's) a professional. He's a great kid He's going to come play. We all believe that you get on the field, you get with your new teammates. You get back into a baseball environment, maybe out of the media pecking at you. Hopefuly he'll be a lot more comfortable with what's going on. I understand the disappointment and questions about the dirctioon of the team. I think those are understandable and we santicipated some of that. He's always behaved in that manner since day one."

     Beinfest said Stanton is being considered to play in the World Baseball Classic next spring.

 

Comments