Received a phone call this morning from Scott Boras, who was not at all pleased with me over yesterday's blog item in which multiple sources a) denied that the Marlins were closing in on a deal with reliever Jose Valverde -- as had been reported elsewhere -- and b) said the Marlins suspected the uber-agent of planting the rumor as a tactic to generate interest in his client.
Boras objected vehemently to the second part, saying there was absolutely no truth to it.
"We did not originate that story," Boras said.
Boras said that the rumor originated with a ESPN reporter, who tweeted out the information before contacting the agent's offices seeking confirmation. Boras said the reporter was informed that "nothing was imminent" with Valverde and the Marlins.
Boras said there would be "no motive" for him to plant such a report, one in which a specific team is identified, since it could be easily refuted.
"What benefit would it be for me and my client to do that?" Boras said.
Speaking of relievers....
Not only did the Marlins add depth to their bullpen on Tuesday. They also added height, signing 6-foot-11-inch reliever Jon Rauch to a one-year contract for $1 million. To make room on the 40-man roster, outfielder Bryan Petersen was designated for assignment.
The 34-year-old right-hander is a veteran of 10 major league seasons with six different teams.
Rauch spent last season with the Mets, going 3-7 with four saves and a 3.59 ERA in 73 appearances. Despite his towering presence, Rauch is not a big whiff guy. He struck out 42 (against 12 walks) in 57 2/3 innings.
Rauch owns a career mark of 42-38 with a 3.80 ERA in more than 500 appearances.
In addition to his $1 million base fig, Rauch will receive bonus increments of $250,000 for 90, 120 and 150 days while on the active roster.