Marlins President of Baseball Operations Mike Hill said he called Giancarlo Stanton on Monday to reassure him the team is not looking to trade him.
On Monday, ten months worth of internal trade talks by the Houston Astros' front office was leaked online by computer hackers. Among a couple of discussions between the Marlins and Astros that were posted included a conversation regarding Stanton.
It read: "[Astros GM Jeff Luhnow] talked to [Marlins GM Dan Jennings] and said we had interest in Stanton. [Jennings] said he doesn't think he'll trade Stanton and the only deal he could think of from us that would work would be Springer and Correa. [Luhnow] said that would not work. [Lunhow] posited a deal around [pitcher Jarred] Cosart and [minor leaguer Delino] Deshields [Jr]."
Although some media outlets portrayed the conversation as if it had been initiated by the Marlins, Hill said that was the furthest thing from the truth.
"I told you guys in the beginning of the winter that he's not available -- and we're not shopping him," Hill said. "I would expect clubs to call on a good player. He's a good player and I think that's the point we want to make sure gets out. I've spoken to him and told him exactly that. So there's no miscommunication and no misinterpretation on anybody's part. We haven't shopped him. He's not available. We want that to be crystal clear.
"We talk to our counterparts all the time. They like some of our players and we like some of their players. That doesn't mean any of them are available. In that situation, it's unfortunate they got hacked and it's unfortunate that information got out there. But we just wanted to set the record straight he is not available. We didn't go around calling and shopping him. It's a non-story on our end."
Stanton, who still has two years of arbitration left after this season, wasn't at his locker before Tuesday's game to discuss Monday's story.
"He's focused on this club and helping this club win games. That's pretty much what he said," Hill said. "He appreciated the phone call. He said, 'Let's beat Philly.'"
Hill said the Marlins want to keep Stanton long term.
"We agreed on a one-year deal in the off-season and we agreed to revisit anything beyond that after the season and that's the plan," Hill said. "It's one of those things where both sides said they aren't going to discuss it and at the appropriate time we'll get into to see what we can do to make him a Marlin for a long time."
RAMOS HEADED TO THE DL
An MRI performed on right-handed reliever A.J. Ramos last week revealed inflammation in his throwing shoulder, and after waiting a few days off to see if he would feel better the Marlins have decided to send him to the disabled list.
Ramos threw a season-high 50 pitches in 1 2/3 innings in last Thursday's 14-inning loss in Philadelphia.
"I think from talking to him he felt like he could grind it out if we really needed him to, but I think the important thing is for him to be healthy and 100 percent," manager Mike Redmond said. "As we've seen, this first half we've leaned on that bullpen heavily. And those guys have answered the bell. But we got to make sure we take care of him for the long haul. We need him. He's going to be huge for us the second half."
The Marlins will announce a corresponding roster move after Tuesday's game against the Phillies. Redmond said it would be a position player.
"We don't have room for another pitcher," Redmond said. "There's not enough chairs in the bullpen."
> Stanton remained in fourth place among outfielders in the most recent All-Star voting results released Tuesday. Even if he doesn't earn one of the top three starting spots, it's likely Stanton could end up serving as the designated hitter during the July 15 game in Minneapolis.
"I told my kids to step it up. I think they took a day off in voting," Redmond quipped. "I'd love to see him be rewarded as an outfielder. But at the same time too, it's the All-Star Game. It doesn't matter how you get in. I know for him I know he probably doesn't think about it like that. Wherever he fits in the All-Star game [he'll be happy]."
> Shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, eligible to come off the disabled list on Sunday, fielded grounders and played catch for the second time Tuesday since straining the triceps on his throwing arm back on July 21.
"From what they told me he's feeling good and doesn't have any pain in there," Redmond said. "We kind of it lined up for him to start playing [in minor league games] if he's feeling good and for him to be done and ready to go on the [Sunday]. But that kind of depends how it goes [Tuesday] and if he's feeling good. He's swung in the cage already."
> Second baseman Rafael Furcal said Tuesday doctors initially told him he would be out for six weeks when he straind his left hamstring on June 22.
"What happened was the little ligament came off the bone and I have to get it stronger," Furcal explained. "You have three hamstrings: a small one [that comes across your calf] and bigger one. Before I had a problem with the bigger one. Now it's the little one. That's why my calf felt sore.
"They think about six weeks. But I don't think about that. Everyday I'm getting better and better. I'm very optimistic."
> Hill said the rehab assignment for left-handed pitcher Brad Hand, who is 2-0 with a 3.27 ERA for Triple A New Orleans, is nearly up. The Marlins still haven't named a starter for Thursday's series finale against the Phillies and it's likely Hand will be that guy. "I would anticipate you would see him back here in the very near future," Hill said.
> Marlins (39-43): 1. Christian Yelich LF, 2. Derek Dietrich 2B, 3. Giancarlo Stanton RF, 4. Casey McGehee 3B, 5. Garrett Jones 1B, 6. Marcell Ozuna CF, 7. Jarrod Saltalamcchia C, 8. Donovan Solano SS, 9. Henderson Alvarez RHP.
> Phillies (36-46): 1. Ben Revere CF, 2. Jimmy Rollins SS, 3. Chase Utley 2B, 4. Ryan Howard 1B, 5. Marlon Byrd RF, 6. Cody Asche 3B, 7. Domonic Brown LF, 8. Cameron Rupp C, 9. A.J. Burnett RHP.