The Marlins went from having two starters in the All-Star Game to having no players at all. And they're not happy about it.
“Fans should have an opportunity to see an active player from every team, and that’s wrong,” said Marlins president David Samson.
Samson voiced his displeasure with the snubbing after the Marlins' All-Star second baseman, Dee Gordon, dislocated his left thumb on Saturday, costing him a trip to Cincinnati for the Midsummer Classic. With All-Star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton sidelined with an injury, that left the Marlins without a representative for Tuesday's game.
Both Samson and Marlins manager Dan Jennings felt shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria should have been chosen to replace Gordon and give Miami at least one active player on the team. But Giants manager Bruce Bochy, who is managing the N.L. All-Stars, quickly named Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki as Gordon's replacement.
And so for the second time in four years, the Marlins will have no player at the All-Star Game. They were shut out in 2012, as well, when Stanton -- their lone All-Star that year -- underwent knee surgery and didn't go. The Marlins weren't happy then.
They're not happy now.
Samson said the issue needs to be taken up at the league level to make sure that every team has at least one active, healthy player on the All-Star team.
After indicating earlier on Saturday that third baseman Martin Prado could come off the DL on Sunday, Jennings said after the Marlins' 14-3 win over the Reds that Prado would instead be activated after the All-Star break.
Adam Conley's stay with the Marlins lasted all of one game. Conley, who picked up the win in what was his first big-league start on Saturday, was optioned back to Triple A New Orleans following the game.
The Marlins announced that infielder Donovan Solano would be called up Sunday.
And finally, if you didn't see Cole Gillespie's sensational, over-the-shoulder Willie Mays catch on Saturday, check it out: