J.T. Realmuto joins Hanley Ramirez, Derrek Lee as only Marlins to hit inside-the-park home run and another over the fence in same game

J.T. Realmuto joined exclusive company Tuesday night, becoming only the third player in Marlins history to hit an inside-the-park home run and another over the fence in the same game.

The Marlins’ rookie catcher slugged his first one the traditional way in the second inning when he jumped on the first pitch from Brewers starter Taylor Jungmann and drilled it over the left field wall, an estimated 385-feet according to ESPN.

Then, Realmuto opened the fourth inning with a scorching, 411-foot line drive to center off Junggman that bounced high off the top of the wall and away from center fielder Domingo Santana, allowing Realmuto to circle the bases easily.

Realmuto joined Derrek Lee (April 12, 2003) and Hanley Ramirez (Sept. 27, 2006) as the only players in Marlins history to achieve the feat.

6/13/94 - Bret Barberie at St. Louis
6/2/95 - Alex Arias vs. Cubs
8/9/95 - Kurt Abbott vs. Rockies
8/12/95 - Kurt Abbott vs. Reds
4/5/97 - Edgar Renteria vs. Reds
5/29/97 - Kurt Abbott vs. Rockies
5/24/99 - Kevin Millar at Cubs
6/19/01 - Cliff Floyd vs. Pirates (Grand Slam)
8/12/01 - Mike Redmond vs. Astros
4/12/03 - Derrek Lee vs. Braves (also homered over fence)
5/19/04 - Hee Seop-Choi vs. Astros
6/13/04 - Juan Pierre at Tigers
9/27/06 - Hanley Ramirez vs. Reds (also homered over fence)
4/6/09 - Emilio Bonifacio vs. Nats
5/3/10 - Cameron Maybin vs. Brewers
6/30/15 - Dee Gordon vs. Giants
9/8/15 - J.T. Realmuto vs. Brewers (also homered over fence)

July 28, 2015

Henderson Alvarez undergoes shoulder surgery, out for season

Marlins manager Dan Jennings said starter Henderson Alvarez underwent shoulder surgery Tuesday in Pensacola, effectively ending the former All-Star's season.

The 25-year old Alvarez, who pitched a no-hitter in 2013, went 0-4 with a 6.45 ERA this season before going on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation. Alvarez was shut down during a recent rehab start after again feeling discomfort in the shoulder.

"It's a tear in the shoulder," Jennings said. "He's a definite out for the season candidate now."

Jennings said it was undetermined whether Alvarez would be ready to return by Spring Training.

"I think depending on the severity of the tear and we'll know more of a timetable once the surgery is complete."

Alvarez, the Marlins' Opening Day starter, had not pitched since May 22, and was on a rehab assignment at Single-A Jupiter. He made two minor league starts before being shut down again.

July 18, 2013

Marlins still sticking to plan to shut rookie Jose Fernandez down after 150 to 170 innings of work

It's been a dreamy rookie season for 20-year old Marlins rookie Jose Fernandez, one made even sweeter by the All-Star experience he got to share with his mother Maritza in New York earlier this week.

"We actually stayed in the same room, talking until two, three in the morning every night," said Fernandez, who jumped into the ocean five years ago to save his mother during their daring escape from Cuba.

"My mom did a lot shopping with me. I was happy about that."

As good as things have been, Fernandez knows the good times -- at least for this season -- aren't going to last forever. He's well aware the number of starts he has left are numbered and before long he's going to be shut down.

The Marlins, who open the second half of their season Friday night in Milwaukee, have had their 2011 first round pick on an innings count all season. And despite the rookie's first half success, they still plan on shutting him down early to protect his arm.

"What we said was 150 to 170 innings," manager Mike Redmond said Thursday after his team got back together for the first time since the All-Star and held an afternoon practice at Marlins Park. "Obviously we're going to push for closer to 170."

Fernandez, who had never pitched above Single A Jupiter before he surprisingly made the Marlins' Opening Day roster back in April, threw 104 2/3 innings in the first half of the season. Last year, he threw a total of 134 innings.

This season's first half, Fernandez finished 5-5 with a 2.75 ERA, 103 strikeouts and 40 walks. A total of 66 percent of his pitches went for strikes. In all, Fernandez threw 1,617 pitches, an average of nearly 90 pitches a start. The only time he eclipsed 100 pitches was in four of his last six starts.

Redmond said he never thinks about the long term when Fernandez takes the mound.

"I go solely on how he's doing that day," he said. "If he has a chance to win a ballgame or whatever it is and he's going good then we'll let him throw seven or eight innings. I've never gone into a game going we can only let him throw six innings a day. I take it from game to game. If he has a chance to throw a complete game then I'll let him throw a complete game. If he keeps his pitches down and he has a chance he'll go out there."

But protecting Fernandez's young arm is still important to Redmond for the long-term. Fernandez, for his part, would love to pitch the entire season. But he said he has no problem with the Marlins' plans in part because they've been up front since the get-go.

"They know I love to pitch, love to compete. They got a plan and I'm going to follow it 100 percent," Fernandez said. "I have nothing against it. For me, that's all I'm going to do.

"My next start is on Tuesday [in Colorado] and I'm going to go out there and do the best I can until they take me out. The next one after that should be five days after that and I'm going to do the best I can. That's how I'm taking it. I'm not really thinking about innings and stuff like that. They have a plan. They've had it since the season started. So far I think we're doing good. Our plan is working. Just keep it up."


July 07, 2013

Nolasco departs; Slowey to start Monday

Ricky Nolasco cleaned out his locker and said his goodbyes in the Marlins clubhouse Sunday morning.

The Marlins traded Nolasco to the Dodgers late Saturday night for minor-league pitchers Angel Sanchez, Steven Ames and Josh Wall.

“I'm going to miss these guys here more than I can say,” said Nolasco, who flew to Arizona Sunday to join the Dodgers for a key series that begins Monday against the Diamondbacks. “But they understand it is a business, and I'll see them in August. I made a lot of lifelong friends here. I'm never going to forget that.”

Although Nolasco felt bittersweet departing after eight seasons with the Marlins, he said he was excited to be able to pitch for his favorite team that he said he’d go watch in person around 15 times a year with his dad and brothers growing up.

“The phone has been non-stop,” Nolasco said. “Obviously, I've never dealt with anything like that to where the phone was just blowing up. Everybody is just excited, everybody from back home. Even people who don't have my number, on Twitter and stuff, obviously where I grew up, they're all excited to see this happen. It's just an exciting time.”

Nolasco’s teammates wished him well and were happy he ended up in a good situation with the trade.

“He’s going to the perfect spot for him,” Giancarlo Stanton said. “To be able to go to where you want without having a choice is always a little extra bonus. It won’t be a tough transition for him.”

Nolasco, who went 5-8 with a 3.85 ERA in 18 starts for the Marlins, doesn’t know when he will make his first start for the Dodgers, but it could come during a key series with the Diamondbacks – the team they trail by 4½ games in the National League West.

 “Obviously we’ll miss Ricky and what he brought to this team, and the leadership he brought to this team, but at the same time, too, we all kind of knew this was going to happen,” Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. “It’s good for Ricky that he’s going to go play for a good team, and a place where he wants to go. We wish him all the best.”


Nolasco’s trade meant Kevin Slowey’s return to the rotation for the time being. Slowey will start Monday in what would have been Nolasco’s spot against the Braves.

“[Redmond] talked to me about it yesterday,” Slowey said. “He knows the importance of preparation. I don’t think I’ll know until tomorrow but I’ll be as ready as I can be and the preparation will be there. It will be up to me to go and execute and do my best.”

Ames and Wall were assigned to New Orleans and Sanchez, the only starter of the group, was sent to Single-A Jupiter.

Slowey will likely remain the fifth starter in the rotation until at least the All-Star break. Marlins President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said Saturday the team will use the second half to evaluate several potential starters including Tom Koehler (1-5, 4.70 ERA in 69 innings – 10 starts this season), who was recently sent to Triple-A to clear room for Henderson Alvarez, and prospects right-handers Anthony DeSclafani, Sam Dyson and lefties Adam Conley and Brian Flynn.

The Marlins also recalled pitcher Chris Hatcher from Triple-A New Orleans and transferred infielder Chris Valaika to the 60-day disabled list.

Starting lineups

Marlins (32-54): Pierre lf, Lucas 3b, Stanton rf, Morrison 1b, Ozuna cf, Dietrich 2b, Hechavarria ss, Mathis c, Fernandez p

Cardinals (52-34): Caprenter 2b, Beltran rf, Holliday lf, Craig 1b, Freese 3b, Jay cf, Cruz c, Kozma ss, Lynn p

July 05, 2013

Miguel Olivo clears waivers and elects free agency


The Marlins announced Thursday that catcher Miguel Olivo has cleared waivers and elected free agency.   

Olivo, 34, was taken off the restricted list Wednesday and designated him for assignment. Olivo was placed on the restricted list June 15 a day after he left the team after the first inning of a game against the Cardinals at Marlins Park.

Olivo was unhappy about his lack of playing time with the Marlins choosing to go more often to a rotation of 23-year old Rob Brantly and 30-year old Jeff Mathis, who had recently returned from the disabled list.

Olivo hit .203 with four home runs this season prior to the incident.

July 04, 2013

Marlins send P Tom Koehler to NOLA, move OF Matt Diaz to 60-day DL


To make room for Henderson Alvarez on the roster and in the team’s starting rotation, the Marlins optioned rookie Tom Koehler to Triple-A New Orleans.

            Alvarez was expected to make his first start of the season Thursday after returning from the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.

            Koehler had been in the rotation since May 12 and made 10 starts going 1-5 with a 4.70 ERA. In his last start Tuesday, Koehler finished with a no-decision after pitching five innings and allowing three runs (two earned).

            Marlins manager Mike Redmond said Koehler would continue to start for the time being at New Orleans.

            “I thought Tom did a good job when he was here giving us some flexibility where he could start and come in out of the bullpen,” Redmond said. “He got some valuable experience. He threw the ball well and threw strikes and did all the things we talked about in Spring Training that he needed to do to be successful. He got some opportunities because guys were hurt, but now guys are coming back.”

            The Marlins also transferred outfielder Matt Diaz to the 60-day disabled list.

Tonight's lineups

Marlins (31-52): Ruggiano lf; Lucas 3b; Stanton rf; Morrison 1b; Ozuna cf; Dietrich 2b; Hechavarria ss; Mathis c; Alvarez p.

Braves (49-35): Simmons ss; Heyward rf; J. Upton lf; Freeman 1b; McCann c; Uggla 2b; B.J. Upton cf; C. Johnson 3b; Teheran p.

July 03, 2013

Nolasco still a Marlin and starting Wednesday

Ricky Nolasco was still a Miami Marlin as of Wednesday evening and scheduled to make his 18th start of the season.

Logan Morrison was held out of the lineup following his rough run-in with a charging Kris Medlen in the third inning of Tuesday night's game.

Morrison was turned around in mid-air as he collided with Medlen while reaching for a throw from Placido Polanco that was wide a couple of feet down the first-base line. Morrison landed hard on his right hip and elbow but remained in the game after being attended to for a few minutes by the Marlins training staff.

The Marlins have gone 13-8 since June 9 when Morrison came off the disabled list.

"[Morrison] landed pretty hard on his back, and his back has been bothering him the past week to 10 days," Redmond said. "We thought to get him out of there and give him a day [off], especially against a lefty, and hopefully he’ll be feeling better [Thursday]."

The Marlins reinstated catcher Miguel Olivo from the restricted list and designated him for assignment. The Marlins have 10 days to either work out a trade for Olivo or release him outright.

July 02, 2013

Donovan Solano recalled from minors; Pierre in lineup Tuesday

Donovan Solano was back in the Marlins clubhouse Tuesday after being recalled from NOLA. Solano was on the DL from May 7-June 9 and brought back after the team optioned OF Jordan Brown following Monday night's win against the Padres.

Solano hit safely in all 17 games he played following his reinstatement going .379 with three doubles, a triple, two home runs and nine RBI.

Solano was not in the starting lineup Tuesday.

Juan Pierre was, however, back in the leadoff spot and playing left field. Pierre has not played since this past Friday as Justin Ruggiano has started the past three games (all Marlins wins) going 3 for 12 with a triple.

Ruggiano went 0 for 4 Monday.

April 16, 2013

Giancarlo Stanton takes batting practice; return still uncertain

Giancarlo Stanton was not in the lineup for the fifth consecutive game Tuesday, but took his first batting practice since suffering a bruised shoulder.

Stanton took several swings hitting the ball often to the warning track. Stanton also did some throwing and catching pregame.

Redmond did not give an exact timetable on when Stanton would return, but said Stanton told him he felt good after swinging the bat.

"We're just going to wait and see how he responds," Redmond said. "He hadn't done anything in five days so we'll see how he feels the rest of the day and look at him tomorrow and go from there. I'm hoping he shows up tomorrow and feel even better."

Redmond said he wasn't leaning toward automatically giving Stanton another day off if he felt a lot better Wednesday.

"We don't want to push him. We want to make sure everything is good."


Outfielder Austin Kearns underwent his follow-up medical tests, and was cleared to play Tuesday night. Kearns was hospitalized Sunday after complaining of an irregular heartbeat.


The Marlins made a tweak to the top of their lineup Tuesday putting Chris Coghlan in the leadoff spot with Juan Pierre batting second.


Marlins: Coghlan rf, Pierre lf, Polanco 3b, Dobbs 1b, Ruggiano cf, Brantly c, Hechavarria ss, Solano 2b, Sanabia rhp

Nationals: Werth rf, Bernadina cf, R. Zimmerman 3b, LaRoche 1b, Desmond ss, Moore lf, Lombardozzi 2b, Suzuki c, Haren rhp

March 17, 2013

Stanton and Cishek back from WBC to reality in Jupiter

JUPITER -- A packed house at Roger Dean Stadium on Sunday afternoon for St. Patrick’s Day isn’t quite the same as what Giancarlo Stanton and Steve Cishek have grown accustomed to so far this spring.

With their Team USA colors retired for four more years as the American team was eliminated from World Baseball Classic action, the pair returned to the Marlins camp in Jupiter.

“I’m pretty much ready to get started with the season,” Cishek said. “After going through [the WBC], spring training games are going to be hard to get the adrenaline going for.”

The exhilaration of representing thier country on an international stage, and playing on a roster that rivals any all star contingency isn’t lost on either of them.

“At first it was a little overwhelming, like, ‘Wow, what am I doing here?’” Cishek said when asked about being a part of Team USA.

“It was amazing to see all these guys’ approaches, like [Joe] Mauer, [Ryan] Braun, and[David] Wright,” Stanton said. “I mean, I see Wright a lot, but it was different being on their side and not being in right field.”

Stanton was especially wowed by Mauer, spending most of his time batting behind the Twins’ veteran in the lineup.

“He’s unbelievable...” he said. “You can give him 0-2 every at-bat and he’s got no problem with it.”

The Marlins slugger has had the luxury of being surrounded by some of the game’s best players with his notable All-Star Game selection last season. Cishek, on the other hand, has quietly been a presence in the Marlins bullpen for the better part of the last two seasons.

“I didn’t go out there to prove myself, I went out there to put a zero on the board,” the reliever said of the opportunity to showcase his talents. “It was kind of cool because it showed me I could play with those guys. Just playing against them is humbling enough, nevermind being on the same team as them.

“That was probably one of the coolest things about [the WBC] was just how humbling it was to be around that group.”

Transitioning back in to spring training mode was nearly seamless for the two, with Stanton batting third in the lineup and Cishek getting a scoreless inning of relief in the eighth inning on Sunday.

Cishek, who is expected to continue with his late-2012 duties as closer for the Marlins, felt the experience with Team USA prepped him for the adrenaline of the later innings in a major league ball game. He describes the WBC crowd as ‘electric’, and unlike anything he experienced last season.

“I was pretty fired up when I went into those WBC games,” he said. “Hopefully that transitions into the year now. I’m prepared to take a step back, take a deep breath and then go at it.”

The homecoming isn’t without hard feelings; there’s disappointment in not taking Team USA to the final round of the Classic in San Francisco. Partially, because the contest doesn't provide a true reflection of a series-based match up between two teams. Stanton argues in a one-off, anything can happen.

"Baseball it’s so tough, you can have a triple-A team beat a big league team with certain pitching once," he said.

There's no appeal in breaking down flaws in format, timing, or different preparations for different countries. With Stanton, it's a closed case: "We lost."

“You don’t go there just to make an appearance and experience the WBC. We went there with the objective to win it all,” Cishek said. “It was disappointing, but at the same time, it’s great to be around these guys again and to get situated with the team.”

With the next opportunity four years down the road, Stanton won’t say no to an invite to try again.

“We’ve still got to be the first ones,” he said. “USA still needs to win it.”

-Steph Rogers

March 09, 2013