The following questions are a test of your FIU football knowledge. Although FIU football turns just 8 years old when it kicks off the season at Alabama on Sept. 12 there have been some memorable and some not so memorable moments in the past 8 years.
The following questions do not necessarily require you to know any specific statistics that can easily be found in the FIU football media guide or on the FIU sports website. What would be the fun in that? This is sort of like a summer FIU scavenger hunt.
All of the answers to the 20 questions and the tiebreaker question have been written in 1 of 3 places: The Miami Herald, The GPP and/or in the FIU football media guide. This is an open-book test so cheating is highly recommended and look on your neighbor's laptop screen if need be.
The reader with the most correct answers to the following PSAT will win the opportunity to write their own GPP Blog before FIU football begins camp on August 10.
The rules are simple: 1) Answer correctly as many of the following 20 questions -- the reader with the most correct answers will be the winner. 2) Should there be a tie after 20 questions, then whoever gets the most correct answers in the tiebreaker question will be the winner. 3) If there is a tie after that then we will go by whoever got their answers e-mailed to me the quickest -- going by the time on my e-mail.
If you want your entry to count toward this FIU Football PSAT contest, then you must E-MAIL your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org. Answers in the comments section will not be counted.
No need to sharpen any No. 2 pencils here, so let's get going....
2) Which former FIU player received a scholarship offer to become a Panther after repeatedly hitting former FIU coach Don Strock's car with a football?
Adam Moss, who was kicking field goals at American Heritage and the balls were landing on the roof of Strock's car.
3) There are currently 5 FIU players or coaches with 4 NFL team nicknames in either their first or last names. Who are these 5 people and what 4 NFL teams are part of their first or last names?
Bill Legg (Buffalo Bills); Colt Anderson (Indianapolis Colts); Franklin Brown and Kreg Brown (Cleveland Browns); Pooh Bear Mars (Chicago Bears).
4) Which former FIU player was also Don Strock's nephew?
To show respect for the position of head coach and to represent FIU in a first class manner.
6) Bernard Clark was FIU's first defensive coordinator, but which former FIU assistant did Strock designate as defensive coordinator, even though he did not officially have the D-coordinator title?
Former FIU defensive line coach Jim Taubert.
7) Which FIU player had a touchdown called back against Florida Atlantic in last year's Don Shula Bowl?
8) When a Sun Sports reporter came out to do a feature on FIU football and Cristobal, she watched the Panthers and MC sprinting on to the practice field and said it reminded her of a scene from what movie?
9) Under Strock, one FIU practice was interrupted when a pack of wild dogs sprinted across the FIU Stadium field and up into the former rented bleachers in the corner of the end zone. What other non-football interruption took place during an FIU practice under Strock?
FIU football practice came to a halt when former President George W. Bush's helicopter landed outside of old FIU Stadium and snipers took to the top rows of FIU Stadium as Bush got into a car to take him to the National Hurricane Center at FIU.
This is a 2-part answer to this question: 1) What were the 3 jersey numbers and who were the NFL greats?
13 - Dan Marino; 19 - Johnny Unitas; 39 - Larry Csonka
2) Strock relented on 1 number after one of the NFL greats said the FIU player could wear his number and then the other 2 numbers were taken by FIU players under Cristobal. Who were the first 3 FIU players to wear each of the 3 jersey numbers being asked about in this question?
13 - Jamie Burke; 19 - Kendall Berry; 39 - Peter Riley
11) Who was the first FIU recruit to sign a national letter of intent and become the first Panther?
Former FIU QB David Tabor
12) Which current FIU player is the brother of former FIU receiver Chandler Williams?
13) Name the 3 TY's currently on the FIU team?
T.Y. Hilton, Ty Frierson, Terrance "TY" Taylor
Andy Leavine and one day he could become "The Divine Leavine"
15) Which 2 people gave Antwan Barnes the nickname -- El Monstruo?
FIU Spanish broadcasters: Jerry Del Castillo and Pepe Campos also known as Jerry of the Castle and Joe Fields.
16) Who was the mistaken Blue 25 from last year's camp and who was the actual Blue 25 from last season?
Jerrell Lamb - mistaken Blue25 and Alonzo Phillips - actual Blue25
17) Which former FIU player became the first Panther to sign with an NFL team and what NFL team did he sign with?
Kevin Timothee (Tennessee Titans)
18) Name the four FIU players that returned interceptions for touchdowns against Florida Atlantic in 2005 to tie the NCAA record for most interceptions returned for TDs in a game?
Keyonvis Bouie, Marshall McDuffie, Lionell Singleton, Nick Turnbull
Steve Spurrier had recruited Burke to go play at Florida when he was the coach of the Gators. Burke came to FIU when Spurrier bolted for the Washington Redskins as head coach.
20) Against which opponent is the only game that FIU has ever won by making a field goal as the game clock hit 0:00 in the 4th quarter and who was the FIU kicker to hit the winning field goal?
Against Division I-AA No. 23 Western Kentucky in 2005, Adam Moss kicked the game-winning 36-yard field goal as time expired to lift FIU to a 38-35 win.
At each Don Shula Bowl, an MVP from each team: FIU and Florida Atlantic is voted on by the media. Name all the FIU MVPs and their respective years from the seven Don Shula Bowls that have been played?
Make it 6, I will give you the first one:
2002 - Jerrid Lundstedt.....now you name the other 6 Panthers to get their names on a plaque on the Don Shula Bowl Trophy.
2003 - Adam Gorman; 2004 - Cory McKinney; 2005 - Ben West; 2006 - Chandler Williams; 2007 - A'mod Ned; 2008 - Paul McCall.
Hope this FIU PSAT did not kill too many brain cells. I will post the answers to all 20 questions and the tiebreaker answers when I get back in town later this week.