GAINESVILLE -- The master of inspiration, psychology, text-messaging and punt coverage turned 44 today. What better time for a college football coach to have a birthday than July 10? He actually has time to enjoy it. But, will Urban Meyer enjoy his 44th birthday? That depends on how many recruits reply to his emails today.
10. Burned out folk singer Jimmy Buffet sings surprise concert in Meyer's backyard. Next-door neighbor Billy Donovan calls the cops.
9. Emmanuel Moody swings by Publix to pick up the birthday cake but drops it as he's walking in the front door.
8. Chris Leak shows up unannounced. It was a little awkward, but it worked.
7. The party moves to the front yard when Chris Rainey challenges Jeff Demps to a foot race. Meyer nixes the idea and spoils the fun. The reasoning? No one called ESPN.
6. Dorian Munroe relieves himself in the bushes. (This actually happened last summer during preseason practice.)
5. Kyle Jackson doesn't stay long but he brings by some tasty finger foods: deviled eggs, pickled eggs and succotash salsa.
4. Tim Tebow and Louis Murphy bless the food.
3. Bobby Bowden and Randy Shannon were hiding behind Dorian's bushes. That was kind of weird.
2. Wondy Pierre-Louis bumps into the grill and gets burned.
1. Brandon Spikes only needs one swing to decapitate the Knowshon Moreno piñata.
OK, boys and girls. Feel free to get a little creative and write in your own favorite moment of Urban Meyer's birthday bash. Check back tomorrow for UF strength and conditioning coach Mickey Marotti's most improved player of the year. Hint: It's a South Florida special!
***By the way, this poster of Urban kills me. I know UF is a football school, but come on. First off, aren't there any writers around campus these days who could have posed for this picture? What happened to Harry Crews? (That's a joke, by the way.) And, I know The Swamp is a cradle of knowledge but shouldn't Meyer actually be in front of the library? And "Read...Urban Meyer @ your library." Since when is "@" part of the English language? What is this, a PSA directed at the text-message generation? And, why is Meyer holding a self-help book? I know a UF professor wrote the book, but is that the best Florida can offer the world of letters these days? OK, random and dorky rant over.