GAINESVILLE -- Here's a link to my story in today's paper. Link! Now, here are five things smart people should know before watching No.1 Florida (5-0, 3-0 SEC) vs. Arkansas (3-2, 1-2 SEC).
5. Florida is a 25-point favorite against Arkansas. That's seems like a lot of points but consider this: The Gators are 15-2 against the spread since the beginning of the 2008 season.
4. Five Gators landed on The Miami Herald's midseason All-Florida offensive team. LINK!
3. How deep is Florida's running game? The third-stringer, Emmanuel Moody, is averaging 9.6 yards per carry. Moody isn't ranked first in the nation in yards per carry only because he hasn't received enough carries to qualify. The nation's leader in yards per carry? Florida's Jeff Demps at 8.6. Chris Rainey is fifth. Florida is ranked second in the nation in rushing offense. Arkansas is ranked last in the Southeastern Conference in total defense and has allowed touchdowns runs of 80, 60 and 52 yards.
2. Because of the large donations from the Walton family (Wal-Mart), the Arkansas football team almost changed its colors to blue and yellow with a not-so-subtle smiley face sticker on the helmet. The plan was scrapped by the NCAA.
1. Florida has lost at least one game every season to an SEC Western Division opponent for each of the last 10 years but the Gators are 7-0 against Arkansas since the Hogs joined the SEC in 1992 (thanks to Wal-Mart).