As promised, the players and/or positional groups (in no particular order) I’ll be closely observing during Florida’s four open practices over the next week…
1. Tailback Adam Lane (FR) – The supposed MJD-twin – Lane is 5’7”, 222 pounds -- has drawn rave reviews from teammates and coaches. Let’s see what’ll the buzz is about.
2. Safety Keanu Neal (FR) – He must be doing something right to have his name in the hat for a starting safety job.
3. Florida’s defensive tackles – Aside from senior Dominique Easley, there’s a lot of unproven players here and not much readily available depth. And remember, Florida’s run defense (No. 4 nationally) was crucial to its success last season. In a similar story, Sharrif Floyd and Omar Hunter no longer play for the Gators.
4. Wide receiver Ahmad Fulwood (FR) – The rangy wideout (6’5”, 190) has hops, but can he beat press coverage?
5. Defensive end Bryan Cox Jr. (RFR) – A spring star who has disappeared come training camp (also see: Brian Poole, cornerback).
6. The transfer trio – Left guard Max Garcia (RJR), right guard Tyler Moore (RSO) and mammoth tackle Trenton Brown (JR).
7. Tight end Colin Thompson (RFR) – If he can display improved route running, the starting job is there for the taking.
8. Strong-side linebacker Ronald Powell (RJR) – How healthy is he really?
9. Quarterback Jeff Driskel (JR) – Don’t worry. I didn’t forget about him.
½. The kicking dilemma - 'Cause it’s that bad, ya’ll.Follow me on Twitter @JesseReSimonton