On Thursday, The Federalist Society, FIU College of Law presented A Policy Discussion on (Same Sex) Marriage with Prof. José Gabilondo, associate Professor of Law, FIU College of Law, and Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse, author of Smart Sex: Finding Life-long Love in a Hook-up World.
About 50 students and others attended the debate, where I took this picture of the two speakers.
Among the points made by Morse:
- If gay marriage is accepted, "marriage will be a gender neutral, adult-centered institution."
- "Children born into same-sex households will be denied relationships with at least one of their biolgical parents."
- She advocates "contracts for gay people, marriage for straight people."
- Marriage "is much more than a bundle of rights, it's a coming of age.
- He disagreed with Morse's approach, which "merges adult intimacy with reproduction."
- "When will law confer to social realities?" he said.