Your Board of Directors is committed to open communication and we will be sending periodic updates on Festival News and plans for the 11th Annual Festival in April, 2009.
· As previously announced, the MGLFF had an operating deficit (expenses exceeded revenues) of approximately $50,000 for the fiscal-year-ending May 31, 2008. Expenses were on budget; however revenues were adversely impacted by the withdrawal of support by 3 key corporate sponsors. Fortunately, prior years' surpluses more than offset the deficit and the organization remains fiscally sound. We are currently collecting the outstanding grants and trade receivables and expect to pay all outstanding invoices by the end of August. Your Festival has not incurred any additional debt and is not insolvent.
· Your Board of Directors did have to make the tough decisions to release 3 of its 4 staff members (one staff member voluntarily resigned). Standard severance arrangements were provided to all released employees. We wish all of our staff the best in their future endeavors with hopes of much success.
· Our office on Lincoln Road will remain open until the end of the lease on August 31, 2008. We are actively searching for cost-efficient office space within Miami Dade County, which is more reasonable in cost and includes sufficient parking for full-time/seasonal staff, volunteers, and interns.
· Your Board of Directors met this past weekend and approved the 2008-2009 Budget, which is conservative, realistic and produces a small budget surplus. The intent is to maintain the full 10-day program in Miami Dade with Fort Lauderdale programming included within the event. We also adopted a revised staffing model, which includes a full-time Executive Director, full-time Program Manager, part-time Office Manager, contracted grant writer, and contracted bookkeeper.
· Our national search for an Executive Director is well underway and discussions with several qualified candidates have been initiated. In addition to extensive Festival experience, our ideal candidate must also have a proven track record in Development. With ticket sales producing 25% of needed revenue, the Executive Director must lead the organization's fundraising campaign for grants, sponsors, advertisers and members. In addition, all Board members and staff will have revenue goals.
· We have already been awarded grants for the production of the 11th Annual Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival and the Fort Lauderdale Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in April, 2009. We extend our thanks to Aqua Foundation for Women, Communion Foundation, Miami Beach VCA, The John C. Graves Charitable Fund, and the Miami-Dade Department of Cultural Affairs.
· We are committed to maintaining a year-round schedule with monthly screenings and events. Be on the lookout for movie screening announcements in August and September.
Your Board of Directors has been proactive in its recent actions and has implemented sound plans to ensure the future of the organization for the years to come. We are indeed, at a critical point in its history. As a cultural & community institution, it requires strong support from the community for continued prominence and prosperity.
If you currently are not a member of the MGLFF/FLGLFF, please join now. A basic Memberships is $60 and payment plans are available for higher level memberships. You can also support your Film Festival through volunteerism. There are openings available on the Fundraising, Membership, Corporate Sponsorship, and Fort Lauderdale Event committees. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may reach Franc Castro at email@example.com or Francesca Roderick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Franc & Francesca
BRIDESHEAD REVISITED Opens this Friday, August 1 !
A heartbreaking romantic epic, BRIDESHEAD REVISITED tells an evocative story of forbidden love and the loss of innocence set in the pre-WWII era. In the film, Charles Ryder (Matthew Goode, Match Point) becomes entranced with the noble Marchmain family, first through the charming and provocative Sebastian, and then his sophisticated sister, Julia. As Charles' emotional attachment to the entire Marchmain clan deepens, however, he finds himself and his atheism increasingly at odds with the family's ardent Catholic beliefs, rigidly enforced by the matriarch, Lady Marchmain (Academy Award-winner Emma Thompson). The rise and fall of Charles' infatuations reflect the decline of a decadent era in England between the wars. The film, based on Evelyn Waugh's acclaimed novel is adapted for the screen by multiple BAFTA Award-winner Andrew Davies (Bridget Jones Diary, Bleak House) and Jeremy Brock (The Last King of Scotland) and directed by Julian Jarrold (Becoming Jane).
WIN A FREE COPY OF THE NOVEL THAT STARTED IT ALL
In anticipation of the highly awaited film adaptation of BRIDESHEAD REVISITED we're offering a select number of copies of the Evelyn Waugh novel to new members. Be among the first to either join today or up your membership to the next level and receive a copy of what has been called one of the most engaging novels of it's time.
A week's worth of the six hottest gay films of the summer brought to you by TLA Releasing! With thrillers, frisky comedies, and romantic dramas there's something for everyone. Bangkok Love Story is an edgy thriller about a hired assassin who falls for his hunky victim. Boystown is a candy-colored comedy with hot men, sizzling bathhouses and murders. In I Dreamt Under the Water a young man's search for love fuels this graphically, sexual drama. Sparks fly when a soldier explores his same-sex desires with a free-spirited young man in the romantic drama Dog Tags. In 3-Day Weekend, eight hunky men bond and swap beds over a drama- filled weekend. And in the documentary Wrangler: Anatomy of an Icon, the outrageous story of 1970's porn icon Jack Wrangler is told with humor, celebrity interviews, and archival footage.
COMING IN AUGUST...A Special Screening for our Members!
The Miami/Fort Lauderdale Gay & Lesbian Film Festival will soon be announcing a special screening for our members and supporters in partnership with TLA's week long showcase of the best and the brightest in the new crop of LGBT films. Keep you're eyes on your inbox for dates, times and info on how to purchase tickets.