The Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus meets this weekend in St. Petersburg. Here’s a news release from the caucus, including a full schedule and list of celebrities scheduled to attend:
FLORIDA GLBT DEMOCRATIC CAUCUS PRESENTS “OUTBURST!”
St. Pete Hosts Winter Conference; Candidates, Elected Officials Scheduled
Fort Lauderdale – The Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus, an arm of the Florida Democratic Party representing the Sunshine State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) residents, will hold its winter conference in St. Petersburg Friday, February 26 through Sunday, February 28. OUTburst! is hosted by the Stonewall Democrats of Pinellas County and is being held to coincide with the Pinellas County DEC dinner.
Speakers include a wide range of state, local and national political figures and candidates, including a number of Florida’s openly-gay elected officials. Expected to participate are Attorney General candidates Dan Gelber and Dave Aronburg; US Senate candidates Kendrick Meek, Maurice Ferre and Kevin Burns; Alabama’s first openly-gay member of the state legislature, Patricia Todd; Michael Mitchell, executive director of National Stonewall Democrats; Florida Democratic Party Chair Karen Thurman; FDP Executive Director Scott Arceneaux; Florida CFO candidate Lorraine Ausley; and Raymond Buckley, openly-gay Chair of the Association of State Democratic Chairs and Vice Chair of the Democratic National Committee. Also participating are several of Florida’s openly-gay elected officials, including St. Petersburg Commissioner Steve Kornell, Hillsborough County Commissioner Kevin Beckner, and Broward County Mayor Ken Keechl.
In addition, the Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus PAC and National Stonewall Democrats PAC will host a joint fundraiser Saturday immediately following the conference. Themed “Honoring Florida’s GLBT Elected Officials,” this event is a separate ticket and will feature a number of the state’s openly-gay elected leaders.
Registration is $60 for Caucus members is $75 for non-members, which covers the cost of the event and includes continental breakfast and lunch on Saturday and brunch on Sunday. The conference hotel is the Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront, located at 333 First Street South. Participants can register for the conference and the joint Caucus PAC/National Stonewall Democrats PAC fundraiser, and make hotel reservations at www.floridaGLBTdemocrats.org.
The current agenda follows. All events except as noted are OPEN PRESS.
WHAT: OUTburst!, the Winter Conference of the Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus
WHEN: Friday, February 26 through Sunday, February 28
WHERE: Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront
333 First Street South
St. Petersburg, Florida
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26
6:00pm Progressive event in Downtown St. Petersburg at Mindy Solomon Gallery, 124 2nd Ave. NE, and Herman Home, 153 2nd Ave. N.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 27
8:30am Registration and continental breakfast
Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront
333 First Street South
9:00am Morning Session: call to order and morning business session. Speakers include:
· Caucus president Michael Albetta
· Ramsay McLauchlan, Chair, Pinellas County Democratic Party
· St. Rep. Patricia Todd, first openly-gay member of the Alabama Legislature
· Michael Mitchell, Executive Director, National Stonewall Democrats
10:00am Breakout workshops, to be repeated at 11:00am
· Interactive Technology: Steve Lapinski, Phillip Perry
· Why and How to Form a Florida PAC: Cheryl Forchilli, Gail Caldwell
· Candidate Vetting and Endorsement: Rick Boylan, Bill Bliss, Ron Mills
· Chapter Development: Sally Phillips, Susan Smith
Noon Buffet lunch featuring Attorney General candidate town hall with Dan Gelber and Dave Aronburg moderated by Mitch Perry, Political Editor, Creative Loafing
1:00pm Afternoon Session: Speakers include openly-gay Broward County Mayor Ken Keechl and a presentation on the Caucus website Religion and Gays
1:45pm Breakout workshops, to be repeated at 2:40pm
· Dealing Effectively with Communities of Faith: Ricc Rollins, Jay Brundage
· GLBT Issues and Keeping Elected Officials on Them: St. Petersburg Commissioner Steve Kornell, Hillsborough County Commissioner Kevin Beckner, Cathy James, Michael Rajner, Lisa Comingore
· Voter Registration, Vote by Mail and Early Voting Strategies: Steven McHugh
· Using VoteBuilder Effectively: Mitch Kates, Dawn Hunter
2:40pm Lay of the Land: GLBT Candidate Opportunity Review: FDP Executive Director Scott Arceneaux
3:45pm Closing Session. Speakers include:
· FDP Chair Karen Thurman
· Raymond Buckley, openly-gay Chair of the Association of State Democratic Chairs and Vice-Chair of the DNC
· US Senate candidates Kevin Burns and Maurice Ferre
· Florida CFO candidate Lorraine Ausley (invited)
5:00pm “Honoring Florida’s GLBT Elected Officials,” a joint fundraiser for Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus PAC and National Stonewall Democrats PAC
Executive Lounge, 15th Floor
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 28
10:30am Brunch featuring US Senate candidate Kendrick Meek
The home of Rick Boylan and Steven Brandt
250 Isle Drive
St. Pete Beach