Start Date: Apr 30, 2010 - Start Time: 7:00 PM
End Date: May 02, 2010 - End Time: 7:00 PM
The mission of the TransCon: Medical Symposium is to create a catalyst of change by demystifying the transgender experience through educational workshops and assemblies.
The goal of which, is to build direction for the inclusion of transgender individuals by empowering medical professionals in their fields with the information needed to extend support to this population in their respective Communities.
Taking place in beautiful Miami, Florida at the F.I.U. Biscayne Bay Campus, the Conference is open to the General Public, but is targeted to Medical Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Case Managers, Therapists, and other Mental Health and Medical Professionals who work with the Transgender Community.
A total of 14 CEU or CME credits will be provided at an additional cost for those interested. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Workshops and lectures for this weekend event include:
FRIDAY (6:45 PM-9:45 PM)
- “Prodigal Sons” Feature Film Presentation – presented by the Miami Gay & Lesbian Film Festival (additional $10.00 payment required)
- "What is Gender?" presented by Dr. Marilyn Volker (Also available in spanish presented by Anagloria Mora)
- "HRT - Endocrinolgy FAQ" presented by Dr. Lorena Lewy-Alterbaum
- "Transgender Sensitivity in Healthcare Settings" presented by Dr. Anagloria Mora and Dr. Carol Clark
- "Transgender Wellness" presented by Dr. Alberto Dominquez-Bali
- "Surgical & Medical Procedures and the Emergence of Transgender Youth" presented by Dr. Marci Bowers
- "Surgical Procedures and issues concerning the Senior Transsexual" presented by Dr. Harold Reed
- "Putting it all Together” presented by keynote speaker Dr. Marci Bowers, followed by a Networking Gala with food and refreshments