While you're waiting for Florida's federally-run online healthcare marketplace to be debugged, you can still do useful research with the new interactive healthcare.gov premium finder and a call or visit to the insurance company's website.
As we reported, healthcare.gov lets you compare the average monthly premiums of different health plans by coverage tier—bronze, silver, gold and platinum—with higher metal tiers offering lower out-of-pocket expenses in exchange for more expensive premiums. The prices don't include subsidy information, and only include two age categories -- in reality, pricing may vary with each year of age -- but you'll get the idea.
If you see something you like, you can learn more about the plan by contacting the provider, using the contact information below. The list includes the companies offering health plans in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, Only Blue Cross Blue Shield and Cigna Health are offering plans in Monroe.
• Aetna Life Insurance Company, www.aetna.com, 800-872-3862
• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida (issues under names ‘Florida Blue’ and ‘Florida Blue HMO’), www.bcbsfl.com, 800-633-6808
• Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company,www.cigna.com, 866-438-2446
• Coventry Health Care of Florida Inc.,chcflorida.coventryhealthcare.com, 866-847-8235
• Molina Healthcare of Florida Inc.,www.molinahealthcare.com, 866-422-2541
• Preferred Medical Plan, www.pmphmo.com, 800-767-5551
• Sunshine State Health Plan Inc.,ambetter.sunshinestatehealth.com, 877-687-1169
• Humana Medical Plan Inc., www.humana.com, 800-833-6917