A note in today's Broward roundup mentioned two camps taking place this Saturday in Lauderdale Lakes -- one for football, another for cheerleading -- in honor of late Dillard football coach Otis Gray Jr.
Sponsored in part by Gray's son, Houston Texans quarterback Quinn Gray, the camp will feature former and current NFL players. The cheerleading camp will feature members of some of Broward County's top high school cheerleading squads. There is no cost for admission.
The camps are open to participants aged 5 to 15. Registration for both begins at 9 a.m., and the camps will run all day (football at Vincent Torres Park, 4330 NW 36th St.; cheerleading at Willie L. Webb Sr. Park, 3601 NW 21st St.).
Expanding on this, the former and current NFL players are to include:
- Quinn Gray
- Jaguars running back (and former Gray teammate) Fred Taylor (a Glades Central grad)
- Packers cornerback Al Harris (Ely)
- Steelers cornernback Bryant McFadden (McArthur)
- Brothers and former players Zack and Henri Crockett (both from Ely)
- Ex-NFL wide receiver Lorenzo Davis (Dillard)
About 10 to 12 in total are expected, the others TBD.
--Patrick Dorsey (e-mail)