Much was made at the Herald's All-Broward breakfast last Thursday about American Heritage's possible "national championship" in baseball, after the Patriots won the 3A title last Tuesday.
So, with no official national championship in high school baseball, did American Heritage join Miami Northwestern football in winning that "mythical national title"?
Here's a rankings roundup, as of Tuesday afternoon:
- Baseball America: No. 1 in their nearly month-old rankings (April 29), although it's hard to believe the Patriots did much to unseat themselves at the top.
- USA Today: No. 1, as of Monday, the biggest rankings win for the Patriots after their title.
- RISE Magazine: No. 1, as of last week (before they won the title).
- MaxPreps.com: No. 2, curiously behind Georgetown (Texas), which has a 22-7 overall record.
- Rivals.com: No. 4, as of May 21; expect that one to go up.
--Patrick Dorsey (e-mail)