St. Thomas Aquinas didn't just sweep the Miami Herald's Broward All-Sports awards this year. Recently, the FHSAA announced the winners of the 2007-08 Dodge Sunshine Cup All-Sports Awards -- and the Raiders were right up there again, sweeping the boys', girls' and overall categories in Class 5A.
But in a way, St. Thomas had the biggest win of all schools, regardless of class. Their 1,184.5 points amassed (based on state, district and regional finishes in various sports, with points subtracted for violations and bad sportsmanship) were the most among any school in Florida (Jacksonville Bolles, a 3A private school, was second, with 1,137.8). Also, their margin of victory -- 324.5 points over Tampa Plant -- was the biggest in any class.
Here are South Florida's top finishers:
- 6A: Cypress Bay (1st girls, 3rd boys, 3rd overall).
- 5A: St. Thomas Aquinas (1st girls, 1st boys, 1st overall).
- 4A: Cardinal Gibbons (6th overall); Pace (5th boys, 10th overall).
- 3A Public: Parkway (4th girls).
- 3A Private: American Heritage (2nd girls, 3rd boys, 2nd overall); Gulliver Prep (4th girls, 2nd boys, 3rd overall); Ransom Everglades (4th boys, 5th overall); Pine Crest (8th overall).
- 2A Private: Dade Christian (2nd girls, 6th overall)
--Patrick Dorsey (e-mail)