ORLANDO - The Tampa Jefferson Dragons came up short last year, but this season, the 15-0 state champions left no doubt on Friday afternoon at the Citrus Bowl.
The convincing 44-34 win over 13-2 Miami Norland was convincing in every phase of the game.
The Dragons got on the board first when quarterback Quentin Williams took it over from 1 with 9:24 left for a 7-0 lead.
Jefferson extended the lead to 14-0 with 5:08 left when Williams found Christopher Moore with a 34-yard strike and a 14-0 advantage.
The Dragons extended the lead to 22-0 when Williams found Christian Calle from the 3.
The Vikings finally goton the board with :21 seconds left in the first quarter when Benji Phillipe found running back Brian Malcolm from 38 yards out.
Jefferson extended its lead to 29-7 when Andre Davis took a 10-yard pass from Williams with 10:38 left in the half.
There could be a running clock if the Dragons don't take their foot off the pedal. Williams find Davis for a two-point coversion after Williams scores from 5. It's 37-7 with 5:29 left in the half.
Norland cut back into the lead with Phillipe found junior Brandon Snell from 40 yards out at the 3:18 mark in the first.
The Vikings cut the lead to 37-21 right before the half on a 7-yard pass from Phillipe.
After a turnover, the Dragons take advantage as Russell takes it in from the 3 with 6:25 left in the third quarter and a 44-21 lead.
Duke Johnson cut the lead to 44-28 with 3:26 left in the game when he bolted 80 yards.
FIRST QUARTER NOTES
* Norland wearing all maroon and Jefferson is in white with yellow and blue trim.
* Norland fumbles its first two snaps.
* Rodney Mills intercepts Benji Phillipe and the Dragons have the ball at the Norland 9.
* The Jefferson OL is a big and very active.
* Right after a score by Jefferson, Duke Johnson and Norland answer with a 65-yard kickoff return.
* Senior RB Brian Malcom with a big carry for Norland.
* Norland comes up with no points when Cherchen Aloema missed a 33-yard field goal.
* Jefferson is running the ball well, which is not good news for the Vikings - since there are a passing machine!
* Quentin Williams is looking very relaxed as he found Ramik Williams and then Christopher Moore.
* Norland is looking way nervous, and down 14-0, they need to snap out of it - quickly or they will get beat!
* Ramik Wilson and Tyriq McCord are causing plenty of havoc up front for the Dragons.
* I won't be the first or last to say this: Bethune Cookman is getting a steal with Quintin Williams.
* Senior running back Demetrius Russell is getting into the act!
* Jefferson defense is rising to the occasion as Christian Calle registers a sack!
* Russell again runs for 27 yards and the Dragons are moving as the quarter came to an end.
SECOND QUARTER NOTES
* The beat goes on as we begin the second quarter as Williams and Moore hook up for a long gain.
* Heralded junior LB Keith Brown made his first play for Norland!
* Ramik Wilson (6-3, 232) is the real deal. This kid is in on just about every play for Jefferson.
* McCord, a 6-3, 220-pound junior, is not too bad either.
* Andre Davis is a big time talent as well.
* Russell (5-11, 180) is a back who hits the hole fast.
* Duke Johnson comes up with a pick and Norland has a first down at the Dragons' 27 with :39 seconds left in the half.
THIRD QUARTER NOTES
* Junior William Watson starts the second half with a 60 yard kickoff return, so the Dragons are still playing this game at a high level!
* Curtis Wade (5-9, 175, Sr.) comes up with a key sack for the Vikings.
* Senior Quincy Casimir stops Jefferson on fourth down on short and will take over on their 11.
* Jefferson recovers the fumble when Ramik Wilson hits Benji Phillipe and Taleeki Beard comes up with the fumble recovery.
* Quentin Williams was just named Mr. Florida Football in Florida. Congratulations to a very good football player.
* Hialeah Mater Academy transfer Jordan Condinanzo is running the ball well - giving Duke a rest.
* Senior safety Rodney Mills steps in front of a pass and picks it for the Dragons. Norland missing out on several chances.
FOURTH QUARTER NOTES
* Jefferson continues to eat clock with Russell and Williams run the ball.
* Junior Damian Baker comes up with a pick to end what was a lengthy drive for Jefferson.
* Brendin Straubel makes yet another play from his defensive secondary position for Jefferson. Then Ramik Wilson comes up with a huge play.
* Good defense by Pierre Maignan for the Vikings, giving Norland back the ball.
* Duke Johnson is one of the best 2012 players in the nation!
* Speaking of 2012 players. Fellow UM commit Keith Brown has 11 tackles today. This is a young man at 6-1, 205 who really made some strides in the second half of the season.
JEFFERSON 22 15 7 0 - 44
NORLAND 7 14 0 13 - 34
TJ - Quentin Williams 1 run (Carlos Ruiz kick), 9:24 (1), 7-0
TJ - Christopher Moore 34 pass from Quentin Williams (Carlos Ruiz kick), 5:08 (1), 14-0
TJ - Christian Calle 3 pass from Quenton Williams (Christopher Moore run), 2:50 (2), 21-0
N - Brian Malcolm 38 pass from Benji Phillipe (Cherchen Aloema kick), :21 (1), 21-7
TC - Andre Davis 10 pass from Quentin Williams (Carlos Ruiz kick), 10:38 (2), 29-7
TJ - Quentin Williams 3 run (Quentin Williams pass to Andre Davis), 5:29 (2), 37-7
N - Brandon Snell 40 pass Benji Phillipe (Cherchen Aloema kick), 3:18 (2), 37-14
N - Gary Lodge 7 pass from Benji Phillipi (Cherchen Aloema kick), :09 (2), 37-21
TJ- Demetrius Russell 3 run (Carlos Ruiz kick), 6:25 (3), 44-21
N - Duke Johnson 80 run (Cherchen Aloema kick), 3:26 (4), 44-28
N - Desmond Horne 31 pass from Benji Phillipe (pass failed), :03, (4), 44-34
HERALD STATEWIDE INFORMATION