ORLANDO - Can you say upset?
Tallahassee Lincoln can as they pulled the ultimate surprise on Saturday and knocked off previously unbeaten and nationally-rated Seffner Armwood, 17-14.
In a game that many had the Hawks favored by as many three touchdowns never turned out that way!
Lincoln finally got on the board with 7:57 when Javorius Allen returned a blocked field goal 56 yards for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead.
The Hawks tied the game with 4:58 left in the first half when junior Matt Jones took it in from the 2.
Armwood came out of halftime on fire when Jones took off for a 79 yard run and a 14-7 lead with 9:37 left in the third quarter.
Carlos Gaston gives Lincoln its first lead of the game when he stroked it through from 37 yards with :4 left.
FIRST QUARTER NOTES
* Highly recruited junior RB Matt Jones starts out with a short run.
* Kyle Wilcox (5-10, 205, FB) looks impressive with a short run.
* In the early going, Joshua Grady and Armwood are doing what they want.
* Senior linebacker Kyle Musgrove (5-11, 185) looks good for Lincoln.
* Matt Jones is the No. 1 junior in the state, and this 6-3, 220 pounder, is the real deal.
* The Hawks fumble at Lincoln's 5 yard line and senior LB Eugene Mills comes up with the recovery.
* The Armwood defense is good as senior LB Jacob Zilbar and junior DL Sheldon Lewinson come up with big plays, forcing a punt by the Trojans.
* There are only 16 seniors on the Armwood roster, which means the Hawks will be good for a long time!
* The size up front for Armwood is too much for Lincoln early on. They are opening HUGE holes.
* We will name the OL for Armwood from time to time like junior standout Cody Waldrop, a 6-3, 317-pounder.
* Lincoln's defense is standing up to the vaunted Hawks' offense so far.
* Lincoln OL Mark Bodkin (6-4, 295) has been getting plenty of looks. He has tremendous feet as well as being huge!
* Junior Jarvis McCall comes up with an interception with 3:45 left in the opening quarter for the Hawks.
* Sophomore receiver Alvin Bailey (5-11, 160) comes up with a catch from senior Joshua Grady.
* Junior linebacker Eric Childs (5-10, 210) comes up with ahuge play for the Trojans.
* The future of Lincoln is also in good hands with sophomore LB James Harris, a way impressive 6-3, 190-pounder.
* Sophomore receiver Ronnie Thomas is taken from the field on a stretcher. We will keep you updated.
* While Lincoln has done nothing on offense, the Trojans are playing great defense through the first quarter and keeping the high powered Armwood offense out of the endzone.
SECOND QUARTER NOTES
* Junior quarterback Ronald Butler (6-2, 185) picks up the Trojans first 1st down of the game with 11:34 left in the first half.
* Senior LB Harvelo Buie is a play maker on defense for Armwood.
* Penalties are hurting Armwood along with a good Lincoln defense.
* Kyle Wilcox is a very good runner and will break one sooner or later.
* Jones and Armwood looking to respond.
* Senior Harvelo Buie continues to make plays.
* Ronald Butler picks up another first down for the Trojans as they reach Armwood's 32.
* Senior Keondrick Daniels drops the ball in the endzone. He lost it in the sun that just came out. Wow, Lincoln came to play.
* Carlos Gaston misses a field goal for Lincoln from 45 with 1:00 left in the first half.
* Senior Chris Colston comes up with a huge defensiev stop for Lincoln.
THIRD QUARTER NOTES
* As we begin the second half, Armwood with sophomore Leon McQuay Jr., comes up with a huge play.
* Matt Jones is a stud!
* Lincoln junior Raphael Andrades has been kicked out of the for his second unsportsmanship penalty.
* Junior linebacker Eric Striker puts the pressure on QB Ronald Butler. The Hawks have plenty of athletes. That's why they are 14-0.
* Key defensive series for Lincoln as they hold and take over once again in Armwood territory.
* Senior Jermaine McKinney with a sack on Butler - two straight plays.
* There is NO quit in Lincoln as the defense is keeping them in this contest with 2:54 left in the third quarter.
FOURTH QUARTER NOTES
* 16 penalties in this game between both teams.
* Butler finally finds Reggie Davis with a long play inside the Armwood 5.
* Musgrove has come up huge for Lincoln all game as they stop Armwood and force another punt.
* Senior Nate Harris makes a great catch to keep the drive going with 6:23 left in the fourth quarter.
* McKinney has been the defensive player of the game for Armwood.
* Crucial personal foul against Armwood for running into the kicker.
* Well, it's field goal time with under :30 left in the fourth quarter.
ARMWOOD 0 7 7 0 - 14
LINCOLN 0 7 0 10 - 17
TL - Javorius Allen 56 run with blocked kick (Carlos Gaston kick), 7:57 (2), 7-0
A - Matt Jones 2 run (Darrell Dudney kick), 4:58 (2), 7-7
A - Matt Jones 79 run (Darrell Dudney kick), 9:37 (3), 14-7
TL - Ronald Butler 1 run (Carlos Gaston kick), 9:13 (4), 14-14
TL - Carlos Gaston 37 fg, :4 (4), 17-14
HERALD STATEWIDE INFORMATION