No sooner did the 2012 season come to an end when the focus began shifting to the Class of 2014. It was to be one of the most talent-rich groups of seniors we had seen come through this region of the state in a long time.
From outstanding running backs and quality quarterbacks to the usual group of defensive secondary performers that leave a mark, this was a senior class that was going to get all the recognition it deserved. But with every outstanding senior class, there has to be a group of juniors who will push them, making them better.
This year's rising junior class - the 2015 group - has certainly proven so far that there will be enough standouts to keep south Florida in a talent spotlight that it has basked in for decades. This tremendous crop of football players in Miami-Dade and Broward - most who already have been in the spotlight for over a year - will be the next that colleges across the country will keep an eye on.
"I thought the Class of 2014 would be one that would set standards," said Dana Wiley of Prep Films. "But the more I get out and watch these rising juniors compete at camps and in 7-on-7 tournaments, it really gets me thinking."
The Class of 2015 is much like this group of rising seniors. Gifted athletes on both sides of the ball. Talent that dominated at the youth football level and has found a way to translate that to the varsity level in high school.
With a long way before the Class of 2015 graduates, here is a look at 10 elite prospects – plus additional players who have already been turning heads - nationally:
Calvin Brewton, S, 6-1, 175, Miami Central: This one-time Christopher Columbus standout makes the move over to the defending 6A state champions and brings with him a world of talent and plenty of skill level.
Leeward Brown, OL, 6-3, 300, Miramar: Will be one of the nation’s elite line prospects over the next two years. Very quick, strong and agile. Has the chance to be Florida’s best in this class.
Tyrek Cole, 5-10, 175, Miramar: You may not have to go far to find the No. 1 cover-corner in the country in this class. Very gifted athlete who has been singled out by college coaches, already.
Torrance Gibson, QB, 6-3, 195, Plantation American Heritage: Called one of the most dynamic athletes in this class. He can play up to six positions on the football field. Could put up huge numbers in the Patriots’ offense.
Timothy Irvin, RB, 5-9, 175, Miami Westminster Christian: One of the most gifted players in a class that certainly has plenty of talent. Just a great football player, who has been getting it done for a long time!
Jacquan Johnson, 5-11, 175, Miami Killian: There may not be a better football player in America. Was an All-State selection as a freshman for the Cougars. Big time prospect who has been recruited since his 9th grade year.
Kendrell McFadden, S, 6-3, 185, Hollywood McArthur: Yet another big time prospect who has played 20 varsity games already – before his junior year has started. Very physical and athletic.
De’vante Phillips, WR, 6-1, 175, Miami Central: When this gifted athlete puts it all together, you will not find any better. Has the potential to one of the best in the country.
Trevon Sands, RB, 5-9, 175, Southwest Miami: Those who have watched this quality talent play believe that this may be one of the best this school has had since Lamarcus Joyner. Very explosive athlete who can do it all.
Jordan Scarlett, RB, 6-0, 200, Fort Lauderdale University: Size, athletic ability, big game experience and world class speed make this one of those rare running backs. Will only get better!
Here is one of those prospects who has a tremendous future ahead of him. Gets up field .
Ten more to watch include Shawn Burgess-Becker (DB, 6-2, 175, Coconut Creek Monarch), Davante Davis (WR, 6-3, 180, Homestead), Keivonnis Davis (DE, 6-3, 225, Miami Jackson), Jovon Durante (WR, 6-0, 175, Miami Jackson), Johnnie Hankins (RB, 5-10, 190, Homestead), Tarvarus McFadden (DB, 6-3, 185, Plantation American Heritage), Davante Peete (WR, 6-5, 190, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas), Deltron Sands (RB, 5-7, 175, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas), Devonaire Scott (TE, 6-4, 220, Miami Southridge) and Dominic Sheppard (LB, 6-2, 210, Miami Gulliver Prep).
OTHERS TO KEEP AN EYE ON:
There are a number of rising juniors who we will keep an eye on and continue to promote. Here are a few more prospects on the rise:
- Malik Adelson, DB, 6-1, 175, Miami Springs.
- Maurice Alexander, QB, 6-0, 170, Homestead.
- Alex Anderson, RB, 6-0, 200, Miramar
- Menyelek Austin, RB, 5-8, 175, Fort Lauderdale Dillard.
- Brandon Boyce, DL, 6-0, 240, Fort Lauderdale University.
- Rashad Broadway, LB, 5-10, 200, Miami Westminster Christian.
- Rashard Causey, DB, 6-0, 185, Fort Lauderdale University.
- Patrick Coats, QB, 6-2, 210, South Miami.
- Rob Foy III, WR, 5-10, 170, Davie Western.
- Alexander Fifelski, WR, 5-10, 180, Ft Lauderdale Calvary Christian.
- Steven Claude, WR, 6-2, 180, Miami Norland.
- Jordan Cronkite, RB, 5-11, 180, Miami Westminster Christian.
- Jerimiah Dinson, DB, 5-9, 165, Miami Norland.
- Deonta Fair, DB, 5-11, 170, Miramar.
- Emilio Gibbs, LB, 6-3, 215, Coral Gables.
- Shaquille Green, WR, 5-8, 165, Miami Booker T. Washington.
- Calvin Hammett, WR, 6-3, 165, Miami Killian.
- Jeffrey Hill, 5-9, 160, Miramar.
- Ronnie Hoggins, 5-9, 170, Coconut Creek Monarch.
- Akeem Jackson, LB, 5-10, 205, Miami Washington.
- Andrew James, WR, 6-0, 160, Fort Lauderdale Westminster Academy.
- Cedric Joseph, S, 5-10, 145, Miami Ransom Everglades.
- James King, DE, 6-2, 195, Miami Beach.
- Keddrick Labady, LB, 5-10, 190, Miami Edison.
- Gerald Lane, RB, 5-7, 160, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas.
- Edward Loveland, WR, 5-9, 160, Miami Carol City.
- Lawrence Mims, WR, 6-3, 170, Miami Northwestern.
- Andy Moreira, OL, 6-3, 270, Coral Gables.
- Phillip Parchment, OL, 6-4, 275, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas.
- Deundre Pickett-White, WR, 6-1, 180, Southwest Miami.
- Keyvon Phillips, LB, 6-0, 200, Miami Carol City.
- Janarvis Pugh, WR, 6-2, 160, Hollywood McArthur.
- Sheldrick Redwine, 6-2, 175, Miami Killian.
- Korron Rozier, 5-9, 170, Coconut Creek North Broward Prep.
- Brion Sanchious, QB, 6-5, 200, Oakland Park Northeast.
- Kermit Silva, LB, 5-11, 205, Oakland Park Northeast.
- Ryan Stanley, QB, 6-1, 190, Pembroke Pines Flanagan.
- Adrienne Talon, LB, 6-1, 185, Davie Western.
- Juwann Taylor, LB, 6-2, 190, Hollywood Hills.
- Richard Williams, OL, 6-3, 255, Miramar Everglades.
- Shaquery Wilson, WR, 6-3, 190, Coral Gables.
- Malik Wisdom, DB/PK, 5-10, 175, Hollywood McArthur.
- We are always looking to help promote our area recruits for the current Class of 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. All you have to do is send a You Tube or Hudl link and information about the athlete to: Larry Blustein at [email protected]
- Follow Larry on Twitter at twitter.com/larryblustein.