« April 2012 | Main | May 2013 »

What well known phrase came out of the need to know if alcohol was good or not?

Confiscated Liquor in Miami Jail Yard matlack-131-12

(Confiscated liquor in Miami jail yard. March 18, 1922. Credit: Matlack Collection, HistoryMiami, 131-12)

In 1919 the United States ratified a constitutional amendment creating Prohibition, which made it illegal to sell, manufacture, or transport alcohol. Many South Floridians, along with other citizens around the nation, did not follow this law. Liquor smugglers, known as rumrunners, smuggled liquor into the city from all around the Caribbean. As bootleggers and rumrunners became rich selling illegal alcohol some increased their profits by watering down their product. One rumrunner, however, did not dilute his liquor, leading to a popular phrase demonstrating its trustworthiness.

 

Posted at 06:00 AM on May 31, 2012 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

What was the name of the Native American group Brother Francisco Villareal ministered at a mission in South Florida?

Landing of menendez at the Miami River 1985-223-1

(Landing of Menendez at the Miami River, by Ken Hughs. Credit: HistoryMiami, 1985-223-1)

In 1567 Spanish colonizer Pedro Menendez de Aviles sent a Jesuit Brother, Francisco Villareal, to South Florida to set up a mission near the mouth of the Miami River. The Spanish soon established a relationship with the Native Americans living in the area.

A. The Tequesta

 

Posted at 06:00 AM on May 24, 2012 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

What was the first Catholic women’s college in Florida?

Barry College 1989-011-1294

(_______________. January 23, 1955. Credit: Miami News Collection, HistoryMiami, 1989-011-1294)

In 1938 Mother Gerald Barry, believing it was important for women to go to college, saw the need for a Catholic women’s college in the southern United States. So, she began a college in Miami Shores. The school she founded became the first Catholic women’s college south of Washington, D. C.

A. Barry College

 

Posted at 06:00 AM on May 17, 2012 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

What current neighborhood used to be called Lemon City?

Lemon City Library 1989-011-09544

(Lemon City Public Library. July 11, 1954. Credit: Miami News Collection, HistoryMiami, 1989-011-09544)

In 1874 Bill Mettair moved to Dade County, and settled in what became known as Mettair’s Bight. The area soon grew into a small community, with various families and single men moving into the area. One former squatter turned homesteader sold some of his land to Eugene C. Harrington, who subdivided it and started a town. By 1895 the “city” had quite a few businesses surrounding three main streets. This area became known as Lemon City, and was one of the first communities to be settled in Dade County.

A. Little Haiti

 

Posted at 06:00 AM on May 10, 2012 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

What is the official name of Domino Park?

Domino Park MH-55141-3

(People playing dominos in Domino Park – SW 15th Ave. January 5, 1995. Credit: Miami Herald Collection, HistoryMiami, MH-55141-3)

Throughout the second half of the twentieth century, the Riverside and Shenandoah neighborhoods of Miami have changed into what we now call Little Havana. This area is a mecca for Cuban culture in South Florida. One popular location in the neighborhood is Domino Park, where residents and visitors alike flock to both play and observe the game of dominos.

A. Maximo Gomez Park

 

Posted at 06:00 AM on May 3, 2012 | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

 
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright | About The Miami Herald | Advertise