When and by whom was Biscayne Bay called "Sandwich Gulf"?
From Tequesta, no. 35 (1975), p. 57.
At the end of that great European conflict, the Seven Years War (known in the colonies as the "French and Indian War"), Britain emerged triumphant, gaining all French North American territories east of the Mississippi (except New Orleans). Britain had also seized Havana, its harbor and hinterland and, on the other side of the world, Manila in the Philippines. The Treaty of Paris, which ended the war, also ended over two centuries of Spanish rule over Florida. It became a British possession, surrendered by Spain for the return of the lost jewels in her imperial crown (Havana and Manila). During the period of British control, the coast between St Augustine and Cape Florida was charted in some detail. The Spanish regained Florida twenty years later, at the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War. Throughout these times, what is now known as Biscayne Bay, was given different names including "Sandwich Gulf."
Answer: The British renamed the Bay after taking control of Florida in 1763.
Posted at 06:00 AM on April 21, 2014 | Permalink