Who moved to the Miami area in 1870 and proceeded to buy all the bay front land between the Miami River and Coconut Grove?
The land in question. Detroit Publishing Co., circa 1905. HistoryMiami, 1986-144-43.
Hailing from Ohio this couple arrived in the Miami area in 1870, opening an Indian trading post the following year and acquiring a large tract of land for $3000, bounded by the Miami River on the north and Coconut Grove on the south. According to Emma Gilpin, William was regarded as a real character in the Bay area, enlivening conversation with his vivid accounts of visits to Japan and Australia. Before coming to Miami, he had been a "wild catter" in the burgeoning oil business and had prospered thereby; hence the ready cash for large land purchases and the establishment of a trading post, located at the mouth of the Miami River on the south bank thereof. The trading post came to stand three stories high, crowned by a cupola, rising above the sea of coconut palms by which it was surrounded. Physically and entrepreneurially, it dominated the Miami scene until the late 1890s. Nearby, the Brickells eventually built a handsome residence, graced with classic columns and featuring a large piazza, overlooking the bay. It was built in sections up north and shipped down "for further assembly.”