April 19, 2012
Where in Miami did Fisher and Curtiss open a flying school in 1916?
(Curtiss Aviation School Field. 1916. Credit: HistoryMiami, x-1539-1)
When World War I began in 1914, it ushered in a new era of warfare weapons. One such weapon was the airplane; it could be used for offensive and defensive maneuvers, as well as surveillance. Aviator Glenn Curtiss saw a need to train pilots for the United States’ eventual entrance into the war. He teamed up with Miami Beach developer Carl Fisher and opened a school in 1916; however, the school did not remain open for long, among other reasons because the nearby residents were not happy about the constant disturbances.
A. Miami Beach
April 12, 2012
Homestead is between what two national parks?
(Tower (Boca Chita Key, Fla.). ca. 1941. Credit: HistoryMiami, 1998-229-12)
South Florida has some of the nation’s most biologically diverse and unique environments. In 1916 the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs established Royal Palm State Park. During the 1920s and 1930s Ernest F. Coe campaigned to create a national park preserving the river of grass. The federal government created a park in the area in 1947 that included the former Royal Palm State Park. In 1968 a similar movement to preserve the northern Florida Keys and surrounding waters led to the establishment of a national monument. It turned into a national park in 1980. Homestead and Florida City are between these two national parks.
A. Everglades National Park and Biscayne National Park
April 05, 2012
Which South Florida plant could be used to create a starch for baking, but if prepared incorrectly, was poisonous?
(___________. Credit: Quilt block by Claudia Van Essen. HistoryMiami, Miami Centennial Quilt)
Pioneers who moved to South Florida encountered a variety of new foods. One abundant food in particular could be poisonous if prepared the wrong way. The new residents learned from the Seminoles the process of preparing this plant. The crop was used as a cash crop by many of the settlers, who sold one of its products, starch, in Key West.
March 29, 2012
What pool in Coral Gables is on the National Register of Historic Places?
(_______________, ca. 1940s, Credit:HistoryMiami 1997-349-11)
In 1923, a public pool opened in Coral Gables. The pool’s location was originally a limestone quarry which supplied the raw material for many of the buildings in surrounding neighborhoods. The freshwater pool, designed by Denman Fink, has various architectural details giving it the feel of a Venetian hideaway.
A. Venetian Pool
March 22, 2012
Who was the first keeper of the Key Biscayne Lighthouse?
(Cape Florida lighthouse and keepers cottage. 1883. Credit: Ralph Munroe Collection, HistoryMiami, 98D)
In 1821 Spain turned control of Florida over to the United States. Soon after this shift, the U. S. government decided to build lighthouses along the Florida coast to ensure the safety of ships passing the sometimes dangerous Florida reefs and coastline. Mary Ann and William Davis owned a large portion of Key Biscayne. Hoping to attract settlers to the area, the couple sold the government land on the island for a lighthouse station. In 1825 the lighthouse was completed and a new keeper moved onto the island, along with his wife and young family.
To learn more about Key Biscayne visit HistoryMiami’s exhibition Key Biscayne Island of Shifting Sands
A. John Dubose
March 08, 2012
What was Blackbeard's real name?
(Blackbeard, the Pirate. Credit: HistoryMiami, 1976-111-1)
When the Spanish settled in the New World, they found gold, silver, gems, and new crops. Crops harvested and treasure mined in the Americas were sent to Spain. Ships gathered at Havana, from which fleets sailed to Europe following the Gulf Stream. This meant ships loaded with millions of dollars worth of treasure were sailing past Florida, and with those ships came the threat of pirates. Many of these pirates used aliases to keep their real identity a secret. One of the most famous pirates was Blackbeard, who sailed vessels along the Atlantic Coast in the early 1700s.
A. Edward Teach
March 01, 2012
Who departed from Miami in her attempt to fly around the world?
(Dignitaries at 36th Street Airport Opening. ca 1929. Credit: HistoryMiami, 1980-022-25)
In June 1937 a woman took off from the Miami Airport in Opa-locka on an adventurous mission, to become the first woman to fly around the world. She unfortunately she did not make it, crashing into the Pacific Ocean. Her disappearance has become one of the great mysteries surrounding aviation.
A. Amelia Earhart
February 23, 2012
What was the name of the slave quarters turned army post along the Miami River?
(Former slave quarters and soldier barracks. Credit: HistoryMiami, 1952-003-65)
In 1830 Richard Fitzpatrick purchased land along the Miami River for a plantation. Through the following years, slaves constructed wooden buildings and grew a variety of crops. Around 1849, Fitzpatrick’s nephew, William English, added two stone buildings, one of which housed slaves. During the Third Seminole War, the army occupied the buildings and reallocated the slave quarters as an army barracks.
A. Fort Dallas
February 16, 2012
George Merrick gave land to help found which university?
(Construction of ________________________________ buildings. ca. 1947. Credit: Marion Manley Papers, HistoryMiami, 1987-263-11)
George Merrick, one of Miami’s early developers, founded Coral Gables. As he saw the town grow, he began to envision a large pan-American university in Coral Gables to attract students from Latin America. In order to see this school become a reality he gave 160 acres and $5 million to an endowment. The school quickly became a reality, making Coral Gables a center for higher education in the Miami area.
A. University of Miami
February 09, 2012
What was the name of the first hotel in the Miami area?
(Three Fishermen with 25 Fish on Porch of ____________________. ca. 1890. Credit: Ralph Munroe Collection, HistoryMiami, Munroe 137D)
Once the Miami area began to be more settled, people began to come and visit their friends and families in the area. The first hotel in the Biscayne Bay area was built in what is now Coconut Grove, and was at that time known as the Bay View House.
A. The Peacock Inn