Note: This blog's templates will be updated this afternoon to a responsive design bringing it in line with MiamiHerald.com.

At that time, we will also change to the Facebook commenting system. You will need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment.

« Scott budget vetoes dominate Florida front pages | Main | President of free world ain't so free to see in Miami June 13 »

More Miami fallout over Rick Scott's vetoes

A sampling of the conversation Friday morning on influential Spanish-language radio in Miami, regarding Gov. Rick Scott's budget vetoes to meals programs for seniors in Little Havana and Allapattah:

"This man has vetoed -- Gov. Rick Scott -- has vetoed 600-plus million dollars on top of what had already been cut," said an outraged Oscar Haza, a host on WQBA-AM (1140). "It's to respond to rural areas and to the tea party and to his ideology."

"We are a donor county," Miami Commissioner Frank Carollo said. "We give a lot more of our taxes than we receive."

"This is a failure of lobbyists, and this is a failure of legislators," Haza added. "For not fighting."

"This doesn't just take away food from the elderly, but it hurts a lot of businesses that provide to these programs," Commissioner Wifredo "Willy" Gort said. "We have to work 24 hours a day to see how we can substitute that missing money...A lot of these people only have one meal a day, which they receive at the senior center."

"How did this happen and they didn't tell us anything ahead of time?" Carollo asked, saying he wants to meet with the city's lobbyists. (On Thursday, Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, the Miami Republican who placed the hot meals programs on the budget, said he didn't get a heads up from the governor, either.)

"They've turned their backs on them, on the same people who voted for the governor," Carollo added.

"What we have to do is throw out the governor like we threw out the others down here," one caller suggested.

Comments