The first Friday of the 2012 legislative session shapes up as a quiet day.
Five Stories To Think About Today
* The House Education Committee has invited the presidents of two of the state's flagship universities to discuss their missions. They are UF's Bernie Machen and FSU's Eric Barron (9 a.m. - 12 noon).
* More fallout from prison closings? It doesn't take long for a political brush fire to become a raging inferno in the Capitol, and the state's planned shutdown of seven prisons promises to be controversial.
* Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam pays a visit to an Orlando school to personally inspect the nutritional value of school lunches.
* Two Democratic House members, Reps. Darren Soto and Scott Randolph of Orlando, will hold a press conference on their legislation to remove the governor's power to fill vacancies in appointed or elected county offices.
* What's Gov. Rick Scott up to? The governor's schedule offers daily clues as to his priorities, through his selection of radio and TV appearances, speeches and other events.
Three Issues You Missed Yesterday
Who To Watch Today/Quotable Quotes
* Gov. Rick Scott. With STEM on the menu for his meeting with UF and FSU presidents, will we hear a rehash of anthropology-bashing?