The recently ousted Miami Beach official tasked with overseeing the city’s massive convention center redevelopment project is now a target of a criminal investigation, The Miami Herald has learned.
The revelation comes days after the city’s procurement director Gus Lopez suddenly resigned under the threat of termination.
On Saturday, City Manager Jorge Gonzalez told The Herald Lopez had been insubordinate and proved to be incapable of handling his duties. But Monday, as allegations of favoritism and questionable behavior flew, Gonzalez said city officials had been monitoring Lopez’s emails and had discovered “inappropriate” correspondence about the convention center project. Police Chief Raymond Martinez on Monday would only confirm an investigation had been launched at Gonzalez’s request related to “potentially inappropriate actions involving the procurement director.”
More from David Smiley here.