Sen. Chris Smith, D-Fort Lauderdale, has released a list of recommendations for amending Florida’s Stand Your Ground law, after a task force he convened debated the language of the law earlier this month.
Among the unanimous recommendations:
- Cases should be presented to a Grand Jury to allow for a cross section of society to determine what a reasonable person would do in that case.
- Educate the public and law enforcement
- Create a system to track self-defense claims in Florida
- Add language requiring an “imminent” danger provision throughout the statute
- Change the “Defense of Others” wording in the law’s title to “Defense of Property”
- Allow law enforcement to detain someone who uses the Stand Your Ground defense while they investigate.