The Democratic Caucus in the Florida House has announced its leadership team for the upcoming legislative session.
Incoming Minority Leader Perry Thurston, D-Plantation, made the announcement Wednesday, shortly after Speaker Designate Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, made leadership announcements.
Leading the House Democratic Caucus will be:
- Rep. Jim Waldman, D-Coconut Creek, as Floor Leader
- Rep. Darryl Rouson, D-St. Peterburg, as Democratic Policy Advisor
- Rep. Mark Pafford, D-West Palm Beach, as Democratic Policy Chair
- Rep. Mia Jones, D-Jacksonville, as Leader pro tempore
- Rep. Alan Williams, D-Tallahassee, as Democatic Whip
Democrats are looking to capitalize from their increased numbers in the House, where they picked up a handful of seats, and the olive branch laid out by Weatherford, who said he wants to be an "inclusive reformer."
To that end, Thurston has made a number of recommendations asking Weatherford to include certain Democrats in high-ranking committee positions. Rep. Joe Gibbons, D-Hallandale Beach, and Rep. Janet Cruz, D-Tampa, were offered up as potential ranking members for the Budget Committee and the Ethics and Elections Subcommittee, respectively.