« Shhh... Soaring insurance rates the unspoken theme in fast-moving Senate bill | Main | Negron drone bill passes Senate without opposition »

Villages retirement community asks Legislature to bypass nursing home rules

The Villages, a sprawling retirement community in Central Florida, is asking legislators to bypass state rules and a moratorium on new nursing homes so it can construct one in the sprawling retirement community. HB 1159 would carve out an exception that would allow nursing homes to be built in communities with large elderly populations and relatively low numbers of nursing home beds.

According to state analysts, that description fits only one place: the Villages.

The community says it needs nursing homes to start addressing the long-term care of its aging residents. Rep. Marlene O'Toole, whose district includes the Villages, sponsored HB 1159. Sen. Alan Hays, whose district also includes the Villages, sponsors the Senate version, SB 1482.

The town says it will need nearly 800 nursing home beds to ensure a 16-to-1 ratio for its current population, O'Toole said Tuesday. "We think the need is now," she said.

The request underscores the power and influence of Villages developer and mega-GOP donor Gary Morse. And it has Democrats and even some Republicans in the Legislature uneasy about playing favorites.

Read more here.

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Jane

Marlene O'Toole needs to get voted out. Period.

Can't take anymore

Marlene can take Alan Hayes with her when she goes. He's only interested in enhancing corporate welfare for 1%'ers like the Morse family. He wants government out of their business but is only too happy to intrude into the lives of the other 99%.

The comments to this entry are closed.