“Give me Scott.”
Democrat Charlie Crist issued that implicit debate challenge to Gov. Rick Scott during an impromptu caught-on-video meeting with Lieutenant Governor Carlos-Lopez Cantera.
But Scott said Tuesday that he’s not ready to take up the challenge, noting that Crist has refused to debate his fellow Democrat, former Sen. Nan Rich.
“That’s laughable. Think about it. He has a primary,” Scott said.
“I’m sure it’s going to be enjoyable watching his debates with Nan Rich,” he said.
“It’s the first thing Scott has said in almost four years that I agree with,” Rich joked, before referencing how Crist used to be a Republican when he was governor.
“Since Charlie is new to the Democratic Party — especially because Charlie is new to the Democratic Party — he owes it to the voters to debate and talk about the issues to show where he stands,” she said.
Crist, however, has said that voters from all parties know his record. And, previously, he said he “wasn’t even thinking about” debating Rich.
Crist’s spokesman, Kevin Cate, amplified on those comments Tuesday in a statement that all but closed the door on a Democratic debate before the Aug. 23 Democratic primary.
“Charlie Crist and the people of Florida are facing $100 million in negative advertising from Rick Scott. We don’t expect that to change,” Cate said.