Note: This blog's templates will be updated this afternoon to a responsive design bringing it in line with MiamiHerald.com.

At that time, we will also change to the Facebook commenting system. You will need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment.

« Rick Scott, Jose Javier Rodríguez want to ban Florida from doing business with Maduro in Venezuela | Main | State settles gambling dispute with Seminole Tribe, becomes $340 million richer »

After death threat, Miami Republican agrees to diversion program for suspect

6a00d83451b26169e201bb0955cafb970d

@martindvassolo

After receiving a death threat last week, a Miami Republican has agreed to allow the suspect to enter a diversion program, where he would receive mental health treatment and perhaps a lesser sentence.

Florida Rep. Jose Felix Diaz, who last week received a death threat on his Facebook page, told the Miami Herald's editorial board on Wednesday that he "expressed a desire" to help suspect Steve St. Felix enter into a diversion program as opposed to an immediate criminal sentence.

In Miami-Dade County, the victims of minor felonies must consent to allow suspects enter into year-long diversion programs, said Jacqueline Woodward, St. Felix's attorney. Afterward, a judge would decide on a charge.

"I on my own did contact the judiciary and I've spoken with the judges that are in charge of these mental health issues and I expressed a desire to work with the gentleman that threatened me to work on a diversion plan for him," said Diaz, who is running for state Senate. "I don't want him to go to jail for the rest of his life."

St. Felix, a former member of the Miami-Dade Republican Executive Committee, was arrested Monday and charged with making written threats with intent to do bodily injury.

"I'll kill your ass and you better not show up to the next REC meeting," the 34-year-old wrote, a reference to the local Republican party, according to his arrest report. A registered Republican living in Miami Gardens, St. Felix told police he didn't intend to harm Diaz, a current member of the REC. Police said St. Felix had not taken his medications when he made the threat, but it is not known what condition he suffers from.

Steve StfelizHe remains in jail on a $500,000 bond, according to jail records.

"I would be very happy to hear Mr. Diaz is understanding of the situation and realizes that Steve needs mental health help," Woodward said.

During the editorial board meeting, Diaz was joined by fellow Republican candidate Lorenzo Palomares, a local attorney who on Friday offered to represent St. Felix pro-bono after saying Diaz had used the incident to earn free airtime.

While he said the issue should have been dealt within the Republican Executive Committee, which St. Felix resigned from several months ago, Palomares said he was "pleased" with the idea of a diversion program.

"I'm glad that perhaps my input into it made the changes that are coming in respect to that case," Palomares said,to which Diaz shook his head. "But I stand by what I said. I believe a conditional threat is no threat at all."

Diaz said St. Felix had previously posted about harming himself, police and that he was armed, which signaled to him that the threat, while not in person, warranted a call to police.

He called Palomares' offer "disgusting" and out of "third-world politics."

"My goal, not only for his safety but for my family's safety is that he gets the proper treatment he needs," Diaz said. "And if he spirals out of control when he's off his medications, I want to ensure that he's on a program that's monitoring him and making sure that he's taking his medications. Because, you know, today it may be a threat against me but tomorrow it could be against Mr. Palomares."

Comments