Miami Republican Reps. Mario Diaz-Balart and Carlos Curbelo were visibly shaken as they talked about the bridge collapse in Miami across from the main Florida International University campus.
The pedestrian bridge across Southwest Eighth Street sits on the border of Diaz-Balart’s and Curbelo’s congressional districts.
“There’s a very sad irony here. This project was built to keep students safe and pedestrians safe and it has ended up being the cause of death of drivers underneath,” Curbelo said.
Curbelo and Diaz-Balart both spoke with Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao on Thursday afternoon. They said they’re unsure if the federal government has jurisdiction over the bridge, though it used federal funds. Both members of Congress said they would support any federal investigation or congressional hearings to figure out what happened, even if the federal government doesn’t have jurisdiction over the bridge.
“There’s going to be a lot of questions that are going to have to be answered,” Diaz-Balart said.
Diaz-Balart was present for a dedication ceremony for the bridge last weekend.
The uncompleted pedestrian bridge received federal funds through a Tiger Grant, which was part of the massive federal stimulus package passed by former President Barack Obama, Curbelo and Diaz-Balart said.
“We’re going to find out what the heck happened here. his is beyond tragic,” Diaz-Balart said.
Curbelo said the bridge’s accelerated construction method, where it the span was elevated over Southwest Eighth Street in a matter of hours last week, has been used in other projects in Miami-Dade County.
Read more here.