After a divisive, day-long meeting over how to write the rules for the powerful Constitution Revision Commission, the panel's chair, Carlos Beruff, on Friday called a meeting for the entire 37-member commission for June 6 in Orlando to vote on rules.
"Although consensus was achieved in some areas, there were many other areas where consensus was not reached,'' Beruff wrote in letter to commissioners. "In light of the extensive time required by the working group to continue its work and the likelihood that much of their discussion will need to be reiterated with the full Commission, I think you will agree that consensus on Rules must be achieved on an expedited timeline to ensure we can continue our very important commitment to Floridians." Download 05-26-2017 Schedule Rules
He also set a new schedule for the commission, promising to have its work done by May 10, 2018:
- June 6, 2017 – Full Commission Meeting for purpose of considering Rules (Orlando).
- June 22, 2017 – Public hearing in Central Florida, details to follow.
- July and August 2017 – Voluntary training on various procedural and substantive issues.
- August 23 or 24, 2017 – Final public hearing of the first phase of public hearings in Broward County.
- Late August to December 2017 – Committee meetings (being considerate of the Legislature’s committee schedule and fall holidays).
- Late February and March 2018 – Public hearing phase two; we will take public input on the work of the Commission up to that point, prior to any votes on final passage.
- March and April – Full Commission meetings for the purpose of hearing proposals.
- May 10, 2018 – Final report due to the Florida Department of State.