May 17, 2017

Poll boosts Lopez-Cantera as potential candidate for Congress

1 Carlos Lopez-Cantera 0621
@PatriciaMazzei

Florida Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera could be well-positioned to run for Congress if he wants to, according to a new poll obtained by the Miami Herald.

The robopoll found Lopez-Cantera leading a hypothetical three-way GOP primary field in the race to replace Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who represents Florida's Democratic-leaning 27th district. The survey was conducted by Front Porch Strategies on behalf of Public Concepts, a top Republican political consulting firm in West Palm Beach run by Randy Nielsen and Rich Johnston. Johnston advised Lopez-Cantera during his short-lived 2016 U.S. Senate campaign.

Lopez-Cantera would start the contest with 57 percent support, according to the poll, compared with 13 percent support for former Miami-Dade County School Board member Raquel Regalado and 3 percent for Miami-Dade Commissioner Bruno Barreiro, the only big-name Republican who's declared a candidacy. The error margin was plus-or-minus 5.6 percentage points.

In a potential general election against Miami Democratic state Sen. José Javier Rodríguez, Lopez-Cantera would lead by 41-34 percent, the poll found. The error margin was plus-or-minus 3.5 percentage points.

Lopez-Cantera has said he's considering a candidacy. The National Republican Campaign Committee reached out to him earlier this month to gauge his interest.

Robopolls usually skew Republican because they miss cellphone-only voters: young, minority and poor people who lean Democratic. But Front Porch had a large polling universe, surveying 301 likely Republican voters for its primary-election sample, and 805 likely voters for its general-election sample. It's the first poll made public since Ros-Lehtinen announced her retirement last month. 

The poll also measured how favorably respondents viewed two other top Republicans, Gov. Rick Scott and U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio -- and found more unfavorable than favorable opinions. For Scott, 41 percent of respondents viewed him unfavorably, compared to 30 percent who viewed him favorably. For Rubio, the figures were similar: 40 percent unfavorable, and 32 percent favorable.

For Lopez-Cantera, the numbers were 37 percent unfavorable and 55 percent favorable.

An earlier version of this post misstated Barreiro's percentage in the poll.

Photo credit: Al Diaz, MIami Herald staff

May 15, 2017

Two Republicans say no to running for Ros-Lehtinen's seat

OT_402078_KEEL_7_flgov (1)
@PatriciaMazzei

A pair of Republican state legislators have decided against vying for U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen's congressional seat when she retires next year.

State Sen. René García of Hialeah said Monday to be mentioned as a potential contender was "one of the greatest compliments I have ever received in my career in public service." Hialeah, however, is not part of Ros-Lehtinen's Democratic-leaning 27th district, which runs along the Miami-Dade County coast from Miami Beach to Kendall.

"While the district represents a great part of the community and county that I love, I cannot continue to serve the public knowing that I would be abandoning the city of Hialeah and the people of Northwest Miami-Dade County," García said in a statement. "Having been born and raised in Hialeah, it has been the privilege of my life to serve my hometown for almost 20 years. I do so today with the same appreciation and intensity that I felt when I was first elected."

State Sen. Anitere Flores of Miami, who was also mentioned as a possible candidate, is not running, either.

"I can assure you I'm not running and my focus is to finish out my Florida Senate term strong and serve the constituents of District 39," Flores said in a statement to the Miami Herald. "I think that is the best place where I can serve my community in the coming years."

Flores isn't term-limited until 2020, but García's Senate term will end next year. The two senators have been mentioned as likely future candidates for local office, either at Hialeah City Hall (for García) or Miami-Dade County Hall (for both).

The best-known Republican already in the congressional race: Miami-Dade Commissioner Bruno Barreiro, a former state representative. Several Democrats, including state Sen. José Javier Rodríguez of Miami, have also declared their candidacies.

Photo credit: Scott Keeler, Tampa Bay Times

May 12, 2017

When political nemeses Charlie Crist and Marco Rubio teamed up

Crist1_8colvia @learyreports

WASHINGTON - Shortly after the 115th Congress convened, Sen. Marco Rubio invited the Florida House delegation to his office. “Of course I went,” said Rep. Charlie Crist. “I thought it was gracious.”

“I just listened and at the end, I thanked him. He appeared sort of stunned,” Crist recalled. “I said, ‘You may not know this, but your office in Orlando and I are working on getting a Vietnamese husband to America to be with his wife.”

I ran into Crist on the day the House was voting on the Obamacare repeal. He wandered into the lobby, where reporters hang out, looking a little lonely. “I’m just a freshman,” he said, in classic Crist way, when asked how he was adjusting.

“It’s different. Being governor was amazing. But to be in Washington and to have the honor of representing my home, what’s better than that? Any service is an honor.”

Crist, 60, once had White House dreams and was poised to breeze into the U.S. Senate in 2010 until the charismatic young Rubio, 45, upended his world.

But years later, here was Congressman Crist telling an uplifting story of collaborating, in a way, with his nemesis.

Continue reading "When political nemeses Charlie Crist and Marco Rubio teamed up" »

In Miami Herald op-ed, Curbelo says liberal healthcare critics 'sadly' imitate tea party

From a Miami Herald op-ed by Miami Republican Rep. Carlos Curbelo:

Sadly, the far left is today simply imitating the reprehensible conduct exhibited by many on the far right in 2010. Words like ‘unconscionable,’ ‘immoral,’ and ‘cruel,’ get tossed around generously in response to the House’s consideration and approval of the American Health Care Act. Americans are being told that they will die as a consequence of this legislation and that life in our country will be miserable should it become law.

One group recently claimed that the proposal would consider victims of rape and domestic violence as having a pre-existing condition, earning a full four Pinocchios from The Washington Post, the highest measurement in deceitful rhetoric. Opponents often ignore key provisions in the new AHCA, many introduced by Democrats, that prohibit discrimination against women, allow young people to stay on their parents’ plans longer, guarantee access to healthcare for those suffering from pre-existing conditions, and more.

To be sure, the legislation moved out of the House last week is far from perfect and needs to be improved. Many people have serious and legitimate concerns — myself included. However, the sheer complexity of healthcare in America means that no bill will ever please everyone. While some today applaud the ACA, many others are facing higher premiums, fewer options, and reduced access to care. In many counties, like Monroe, there is only one insurance provider left. In some counties in Iowa and other states there are none. That’s right, no insurance options at all for those in the individual market.

More here.

May 11, 2017

Quelling candidacy chatter, Carvalho vows to remain Miami-Dade schools chief

WLRN MEETING0245 JAI
@PatriciaMazzei @KyraGurney

Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho appeared to squash rumors Wednesday night that there's a chance he could run for Congress.

Speaking at an awards ceremony for the Education Fund, a local schools nonprofit, Carvalho vowed to remain schools chief this year, next year and for years to come, according to several attendees. The comment seemed to address his own acknowledgment last week that he was being courted to replace Miami Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.

Carvalho, an independent who has never run for public office, could have mounted a formidable candidacy, given his broad popularity and name recognition. But he sounded reluctant to run even last week, when Florida Democrats were abuzz about his potential candidacy. And he has since spoken to school board members, including one, Lubby Navarro, who said Carvalho was clear he wasn't running.

Wednesday night, Carvalho's promise to stick to his job was met with resounding applause.

Photo credit: José A. Iglesias, el Nuevo Herald

Former U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown found guilty in charity scam

Former_Congresswoman_Fraud_Trial_19181
From the Associated Press:

JACKSONVILLE -- Former U.S. Rep. Corrine Brown has been found guilty of taking money from a charity that was purported to be giving scholarships poor students.

The jury's verdict on Thursday came after prosecutors accused the 70-year-old Brown of using hundreds of thousands of dollars from the One Door for Education Foundation for lavish parties, trips and shopping excursions.

She was found guilty on 18 of the 22 counts against her, including lying on tax and financial disclosure forms.

Brown, a Democrat who represented the Florida district that included Jacksonville since 1993, had pleaded not guilty to all charges including fraud.

Brown's former chief of staff, Elias "Ronnie" Simmons, and One Door's president pleaded guilty after their federal indictments for misusing the charity's funds, and testified against Brown.

Simmons said Brown ordered him to take cash and checks from One Door's account that was put into the congresswoman's personal accounts.

Photo credit: Florida Times-Union via Associated Press

May 10, 2017

If Miami-Dade schools chief runs for Congress, who will replace him?

IMG_download__1_.jpg_3_1_EP9C2TEI_L257453485

@KyraGurney

Just days after Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho’s name surfaced as a potential candidate for Congress, speculation has already started over who might replace him as schools chief.

Several School Board members said they have received calls asking what would happen if Carvalho — who told the Miami Herald on Friday that he is being courted to run for retiring Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen’s seat — resigns to run for office.

“I’ve spoken to a lot of folks in all of the communities and yes, they are concerned,” said board Chair Larry Feldman. “He’s been working for us for eight years in this position and has taken us from financial disasters, academic issues, credibility issues,” to a school district that serves as a model for the rest of the country, Feldman said. 

It’s unclear how seriously the superintendent is considering pursuing a political run. On Friday, Carvahlo walked the fence in an interview with the Miami Herald. He said he had a “moral responsibility at least to entertain” requests from the people who are hoping he’ll get into the race but added that his commitment to the school district “is as strong and unwavering as ever.”

But Carvalho has since privately assured School Board members, including Feldman, that he plans to remain head of Miami-Dade Schools, where his contract runs until 2020. 

School Board member Lubby Navarro, who has gotten calls from residents in her district and elected officials concerned about Carvalho’s possible departure, said Carvalho told her on Saturday that there was “zero chance” he would run.

If the superintendent does leave, Navarro said there are two qualified candidates who come to mind as possible replacements: Iraida Mendez-Cartaya, an associate superintendent at the Miami-Dade school district who lobbies in Tallahassee on the district’s behalf, and Pablo Ortiz, a former school district administrator who currently serves as a vice president at Florida International University.

Both responded that they were happy where they were. 

More here

 

Nelson has no faith in McConnell to allow fair Russian investigation

05102017_154153_img_3257_8col
via @learyreports

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson amplified calls Wednesday for a special prosecutor to oversee the Russian meddling probe, asserting that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell cannot be trusted to oversee a fair investigation.

“I do not have any faith that Mitch McConnell, on the basis of his statement today on the floor of the Senate, will let a full investigation be done by legislative committees controlled by his office," Nelson told the Tampa Bay Times and other news outlets. "I believe that’s why we need an independent special prosecutor.”

Nelson, facing re-election next year, said the Senate Intelligence Committee review could also be hampered because federal agencies under control of President Trump may not fully cooperate.

On the Senate floor Wednesday, McConnell said: "Today we'll no doubt hear calls for a new investigation, which could only serve to impede the current work being done."

Sen. Marco Rubio, a member of the Intel Committee, also thinks the work should proceed. "People should wait for all the facts to come out via the Intelligence Committee report and then at that time a determination can be made," he said Wednesday.

Trump on Twitter has been bashing Democrats as two-faced. "Dems have been complaining for months & months about Dir. Comey," he wrote on Twitter this afternoon. "Now that he has been fired they PRETEND to be aggrieved. Phony hypocrites!"

--ALEX LEARY, Tampa Bay Times

Barreiro files candidacy for Ros-Lehtinen's seat in Congress

Trc09 Transito NEW PPP
@PatriciaMazzei

Miami-Dade County Commissioner Bruno Barreiro formalized his candidacy for Congress on Wednesday, announcing he'd filed paperwork to begin fundraising and launch his Republican campaign for retiring Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen's seat.

"Throughout my years as a public servant, I have witnessed first-hand how my efforts can positively contribute to the growth and well-being of our residents in South Florida," he said in a statement. "I have a pulse for the needs of our community, and understand the importance of having a strong advocate for South Floridians in Washington D.C."

Barreiro is the first well-known Republican to enter the race for the Democratic-leaning 27th district, though former Miami-Dade School Board member Raquel Regalado is interested, and national Republicans have reached out to Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera and Jeb Bush Jr. Maria Peiro has also filed to run. Several Democrats are already in the contest.

Barreiro has represented much of Ros-Lehtinen's district on the commission and previously in the Florida Legislature, where he was a state representative from 1992-98. A Cuban-American, he was born in Clearwater but raised in Miami. He's the elected state committeeman for the Miami-Dade Republican Executive Committee. His wife, Zoraida, is running for Miami City Commission.

"As Congressman, I will work in a bipartisan manner to bring to the table important issues for our residents, such as economic prosperity, improved infrastructure, modernized and efficient transportation alternatives, affordable housing, viable healthcare options, and so much more," Barreiro said.

Photo credit: Pedro Portal, el Nuevo Herald

On Comey firing, Rubio says only that he was 'surprised'

via @learyreports

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Marco Rubio, unlike many of his colleages on Capitol Hill, never issued a statement about the blockbuster news President Trump had fired James Comey. But an ABC News reporter tracked him down in a hallway last night and Rubio offered that he was "surprised."

"But it's a decision the president's made and we'll go from here," Rubio said.

His office would not answer whether Rubio thinks there should be a special investigator or committee to probe the Russian meddling.

Here is what other Florida lawmakers had to say.

--ALEX LEARY, Tampa Bay Times