May 24, 2016

Jeb Bush returns to education foundation

@PatriciaMazzei

Jeb Bush is returning to his education foundation now that he's no longer running for president.

The Foundation for Excellence in Education announced Tuesday that Bush will once again serve as its chairman and president of the board of directors. The former Florida governor had stepped down from the post in the foundation he created to run for the Republican presidential nomination. 

"One of the greatest challenges and opportunities we have in America today is to create a 21st century education system that ensures all students have the skills, teachers and educational options they need to succeed in life," Bush said in a statement. "Too many children right now are failed by a deeply flawed bureaucratic system, but I'm optimistic about the future because I've seen the great results produced by states across the country."

Bush replaces Condoleezza Rice, the former U.S. Secretary of State who had assumed the position in January 2015 and will remain on the foundation's board.

May 13, 2016

Jeb Bush's daughter-in-law becomes U.S. citizen

@PatriciaMazzei

Jeb Bush's daughter-in-law raised her right hand Friday and pledged allegiance to the United States as a newly naturalized citizen.

Sandra Bush, who is originally from Canada, attended a Miami citizenship ceremony along with her husband, Jeb Bush Jr., and father-in-law, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services spokeswoman Ana Santiago said in a statement.

The former presidential candidate and Florida governor posed for photographs with others who took part in the ceremony or attended with their loved ones, according to a tweet by Bush Jr. Jeb Bush, who speaks fluent Spanish, often spoke sympathetically about immigrants on the campaign trail.

Reporters might have covered the event, but USCIS didn't send notice of the 9 a.m. ceremony until 8:08 a.m. One photographer who nevertheless managed to show up in time was told the swearing in began much earlier, at 7:30 a.m.

Bush has kept a relatively low profile since ending his candidacy in February.

May 06, 2016

Jeb Bush: I won't vote for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton

@PatriciaMazzei

Jeb Bush the voter plans to sit out the presidential race in November.

The ex-presidential candidate wrote on Facebook Friday that he won't vote for presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump -- Bush's chief GOP campaign foe -- or likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

"The American Presidency is an office that goes beyond just politics. It requires of its occupant great fortitude and humility and the temperament and strong character to deal with the unexpected challenges that will inevitably impact our nation in the next four years," Bush wrote. "Donald Trump has not demonstrated that temperament or strength of character. He has not displayed a respect for the Constitution. And, he is not a consistent conservative. These are all reasons why I cannot support his candidacy."

Reporters had pressed Bush's spokeswoman for the former Florida governor's position since Trump became the de facto nominee earlier this week, when his last remaining rivals, Ted Cruz and John Kasich, dropped out of the race.

On Facebook, Bush congratulated Trump and said he will "support principled conservatives at the state and federal levels, just as I have done my entire life."

More here.

May 04, 2016

Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush make cameos in Hillary Clinton video against Donald Trump

@PatriciaMazzei

Likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's campaign wasted no time to take on presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump, posting a video online Wednesday using the words for Trump's former rivals against him.

That includes Miamians Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush, who -- especially in Bush's case -- did plenty of Trump-bashing while they were on the campaign trail. Trump's final opponents, Ted Cruz and John Kasich, dropped out Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.

Bush gets the kicker at the end of the spot.

April 28, 2016

Jeb Bush: 'I don't know which Donald Trump to believe'

@PatriciaMazzei

Jeb Bush, to no one's surprise, has not had a change of mind over Donald Trump.

In an interview Thursday, Bush told CNN that he's "seen nothing" since leaving the Republican presidential race to persuade him that Trump would make a good president. Last month, Bush backed Trump rival Ted Cruz.

"I don't think he's a serious person," Bush said.

But the former Florida governor has clearly remained abreast of the campaign. He referenced Trump's foreign-policy speech Wednesday.

"I don't know which Donald Trump to believe: the one that read from a TelePrompTer a speech that was inside the ones, or the one that wants to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it," he said. "Which Donald Trump is the one that's expressing these views? There's two of them, and I think we need a president with a steady hand."

CNN has posted other bits from its Bush interview here and here.

This post has been updated.

April 21, 2016

Donald Trump's misleading claims about "rigged" elections

CoreyandTrump

As Republican frontrunner Donald Trump has led the delegate chase, he has complained that the "corrupt and crooked" elections have been "rigged" against him.

But he has repeatedly failed to prove his case that states have stacked the deck against him.

Trump has received a plurality of delegates so far, but he yet hasn't hist a majority, which is 1,237. It is that process of delegation selection that has fueled many of his complaints.

We have fact-checked three claims by Trump or his campaign manager Corey Lewandowski related to delegate selection or the primary voting system. Two of the claims were about Florida’s March 15 primary, while the third pertains to the Colorado caucus and state convention. We rated all three statements False on the Truth-O-Meter.

Keep reading from PolitiFact Florida to see how we rated Trump's claims.

April 18, 2016

Donald Trump wrongly blames Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush for Florida's winner-take-all primary

Trump-in-New-York-AP-Kevin-Hagen-640x480

Donald Trump has been on a tear accusing the Republican establishment of rigging the system to hurt him, despite the fact that he leads the delegate count in the primaries.

One of the states where leaders are out to get him is Florida, he says. The state’s March 15 primary was "winner-take-all," which means all of the delegates went to one winner, who ended up being Trump.

"You speak about what’s unfair, so in Florida you had 99 delegates," he said in aspeech in Rome, N.Y. "And Jeb Bush had it set -- Jeb Bush or Rubio, both of them. They had it set so that the winner takes everything, because they wanted to make sure that I didn't get anything."

Did Bush and Rubio set the Florida primary for winner-take-all because they wanted to prevent Trump from getting any delegates?

Republican officials did hope a winner-take-all primary would benefit Bush or Rubio, but Trump gets some of his key facts wrong. Keep reading from PolitiFact Florida.

Photo by the Associated Press.

April 15, 2016

Donald Trump thinks Jeb Bush should move to New York

via @learyreports

“You say, what are NY values? Number one, honesty and straight talking. It’s a work ethic, hard working people. It’s about family. New York — believe it — is about family. So important.

"It’s the energy to get things done. Big energy. If Jeb Bush came here, I’m telling you, he’d have much more energy than he has right now. I’m telling you. He should move to New York, right?"

--Donald Trump on Thursday night at the New York State Republican Gala in Manhattan.

--ALEX LEARY, Tampa Bay Times

April 11, 2016

The campaign-finance legacy of Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio

via @learyreports

WASHINGTON -- $235 million.

Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio burned through that much cash before joining the heap of failed 2016 presidential candidates, an astounding figure even in the big-money era.

But more important, the Floridians pushed new boundaries of campaign finance, setting examples likely to be copied by other candidates while leaving behind a string of complaints from watchdog groups contending laws were broken.

“They are pilgrims on the path to destroying the campaign finance system,” said Fred Wertheimer of Democracy 21, an advocacy group that filed complaints with the Federal Election Commission, the IRS and the Justice Department.

For months, Bush insisted he was not a candidate while traveling the country to collect millions for a super PAC. The undeclared status allowed Bush to work closely with Right to Rise and take in unlimited donations instead of the $2,700 individual contribution limit his campaign faced.

By the time Bush announced, he had amassed most of his $100 million “shock and awe” war chest.

Rubio benefitted from a nonprofit that also collected huge donations — at least $16 million — and financed TV ads in early nominating states. The tax-exempt group provided donors with the cloak of anonymity, injecting untraceable “dark money” into the political discourse.

“He took the outside-money world from unlimited contributions to unlimited secret contributions and created a very dangerous precedent,” Wertheimer said.

More here.

April 05, 2016

Jeb Bush super PAC lays out plan to refund $12M to donors

via @learyreports

Jeb Bush's Super PAC plans to give anyone who contributed $1,000 or more at least a 10 percent refund, part of a plan to return $12 million in unused funds.

"This process will entail making over three-thousand (3,000+) contribution refunds and we anticipate starting and completing this process in May," reads a letter from treasurer Charlie Spies.

Right to Rise raised a breathtaking $118 million and spent much of that trying to prop up Bush and knock down his opponents. Bush left the race on the night of the Feb. 20 South Carolina primary.

The Tampa Bay Times obtained the letter from a donor, and it appears in full below:

Continue reading "Jeb Bush super PAC lays out plan to refund $12M to donors" »