Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine's first ad buy as a 2018 candidate for Florida governor urges listeners to...sign up for health insurance using Obamacare.
It might seem like an unusual way to kick off a gubernatorial campaign. But the radio ads -- a "six-figure" buy funded by Levine's political committee, All About Florida -- help Levine link himself to former President Barack Obama and his signature achievement, a key for Democratic primary voters who in the past lamented that their candidates ran away from the Affordable Care Act.
"President Obama had a vision – that every American have access to affordable health care – and I join with him in urging that every man, woman and child in America be covered," Levine says in the spot. "Visit healthcare.gov now and sign up. Every Floridian has until Dec. 15 to act before Donald Trump, or anyone, has a chance to tear down the Affordable Care Act we waited so long for."
The ads, running statewide, also let Levine speak to Hispanic voters. Levine's Spanish is serviceable; he spoke a line in the language during his campaign launch last week, knowing he will have to appeal to Latino Democrats -- many of them in South Florida -- to have a shot at the Governor's Mansion.
UPDATE: Levine's ad drew the scorn of Florida House Speaker Richard Corcoran, R-Land O'Lakes, who tweeted a link to this Naked Politics post. Corcoran is a potential 2018 Republican candidate for governor and a longtime Obamacare critic.
That set off a bit of a Twitter war with Levine, who is running against at least three other major candidates in the Democratic primary and can only relish being singled out by a Republican calling him "#LiberalLevine."
National Republicans appear unhappy with their choices in the race to replace Miami Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen next year. And so they've floated the name of a potential fourth candidate: Alex Burgos, a former top aide to Sen. Marco Rubio.
Burgos left his job as Rubio's deputy chief of staff and communications director in April to become vice president of federal policy, government relations and communications for TechNet, which represents the technology industry. Until then, he had been Rubio's longest-paid adviser and the bedrock of the Miami Republican's Capitol Hill office.
He did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
Burgos still lives in Washington, where he and his wife are raising three young daughters -- all potentially complicating factors for a congressional bid. But he's a Miami native who still has family ties to Florida's 27th district. Ros-Lehtinen, a Republican, is retiring next year, leaving her Democratic-leaning district open to Democrats hoping for to pick up a seat.
The opportunity has drawn seven Democrats to the race -- and three Republicans: Miami-Dade County Commissioner Bruno Barreiro, former Miami-Dade School Board member Raquel Regalado and former Doral Councilwoman Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera. Last week, Barreiro made it onto the National Republican Congressional Committee's list of 31 candidates nationwide who could become eligible for fundraising help from the party.
But at least some in the GOP continue to be restless about their options. The NRCC had tried to recruit Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera to run, but he said in August that he's not interested.
Coral Gables Democratic Rep. Daisy Baez has officially resigned her seat in the Florida Legislature as part of her agreement to plead guilty to a misdemeanor perjury charge in a case over her legal residency.
Baez sent House Speaker Richard Corcoran, R-Land O'Lakes, her one-sentence resignation letter Wednesday morning.
"Effective immediately, I am resigning my office as a member of the Florida House of Representatives, HD 114," Baez wrote.
Photo credit: Scott Keeler, Tampa Bay Times
State Rep. Daisy Baez will resign her Florida House seat Wednesday ahead of pleading guilty to perjury in a criminal case over her legal residency, she told the Miami Herald late Tuesday.
As part of an agreement with the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office, the Coral Gables Democrat will also pay a $1,000 fine, take an ethics course and serve one year of probation, during which she’ll be banned from seeking public office.
“On November 1, I will tender my resignation as a member of the Florida House of Representatives,” Baez said in a statement. “I want to thank the residents of Florida, Miami-Dade County and District 114 for giving me the opportunity to serve, it’s been a great honor.
“When I began my service as a Representative last year, I vowed to serve the public interest to the best of my ability and I am confident I have done so. As I return to my life as a private citizen, I pledge to continue fighting for universal healthcare, empowering our teachers, and improving the quality of life for the youngest, most vulnerable Floridians.”
Baez was returning to Miami on Tuesday from the Dominican Republic, where she buried her mother, who died last week.
Prosecutors began investigating after the Herald reported on May 16 that Baez did not appear to live in House District 114, as required by the Florida Constitution. She claimed she rented an apartment inside the district.
Photo credit: Scott Keeler, Tampa Bay Times
Miami Beach Commissioner Kristen Rosen Gonzalez has filed a police report against a commission candidate, complaining that he exposed himself to her.
Rosen Gonzalez told the Miami Herald late Tuesday she had gone to police to tell them Rafael Velasquez, a candidate for the Group 2 commission seat in the Beach, flashed his penis while the two were in a car after having dinner Oct. 18
“I want to get a restraining order,” she said, referencing a Facebook post where Velasquez tagged her in a denial and tried to discredit her story.
Velasquez denied the accusation and said he was considering suing Rosen Gonzalez.
After Rosen Gonzalez made the accusation against Velasquez on Monday, two other women told the Miami Herald that Velasquez had sexually harassed them. A local publicist said he groped her while posing for a picture at a public event and later sent flirtatious text messages. A third woman said he made inappropriate comments to her when the two ran together on a slate of potential Democratic delegates backing Hillary Clinton in the presidential election.
After two women accused him of sexual harassment, Miami Beach candidate Rafael Velasquez lost his entire shoestring campaign staff late Monday.
They quit and said they could no longer stand by him, a week before Election Day.
Campaign Chairman Ansh Grover, Field Director Michael Thoeness and Treasurer Gustavo Perez resigned as of 5 p.m. Monday in a joint memo to Velasquez.
“My heart truly hurts,” Grover wrote. “We live in times where our sisters, mothers and families and friends are experiencing abuse at higher levels than ever before — yet fear holds back so many from being able to get justice. We will not stand by as stories continue to come in and victims continue to increase.”
Tuesday morning, Velasquez, a 44-year-old married father of two, offered a muddled apology to his accusers, telling the Miami Herald he was sorry for sending text messages he considered flirtatious. But he maintained he did not flash his penis to a sitting commissioner or grope a local publicist.
“I want to apologize to anybody I might’ve offended in my communications,” he said. “I never meant to offend anyone. I certainly learned a lesson.”
Photo credit: Matias J. Ocner, Miami Herald staff
A second woman accused Miami Beach City Commission candidate Rafael Velasquez on Monday of sexually inappropriate behavior, saying he groped her at an event four months ago and then sent her a text message telling her she “felt good.”
The disclosure, by local publicist Frances Alban, comes after Kristen Rosen Gonzalez, a Beach commissioner and Democratic congressional candidate, accused Velasquez — whose campaign she endorsed — of exposing himself to her in her car two weeks ago.
After Rosen Gonzalez’s accusation, the Miami-Dade County Democratic Party, which backed Velasquez in next week’s nonpartisan race, told the Miami Herald it would suspend its digital ads and mailed fliers campaigning for Velasquez. After Alban came forward, Party Chairman Juan Cuba said Velasquez should end his candidacy.
“If these allegations are true, it would be appropriate for him to withdraw,” Cuba told the Herald.
Alban said she and Velasquez, whom she’s known for about seven years, both attended a June 8 meeting at the North Beach Youth Center. As they posed for a photograph, Alban said, Velasquez grabbed her butt.
“My immediate reaction was it must have been an accident,” said Alban, who is smiling in the photo.
Alban left early and texted Velasquez later to ask if she’d missed anything, according to text messages she shared with the Herald. He said no — and asked if they could meet “one-on-one.”
“You looked sexy tonight,” Velasquez wrote, inserting a purple devil emoji.
“Why, thank you!” Alban responded.
“Very feminine... and waiting for your photographer to shoot ...you felt good too.”
This story has been updated.
Photo credit: Matias J. Ocner, Miami Herald staff
@joeflech and @NickNehamas
Michael Grieco ended his tumultuous term as a Miami Beach commissioner Tuesday, submitting his resignation by email shortly before pleading no contest to a criminal violation of Florida’s campaign-finance laws.
But Grieco, a popular commissioner who ran a competitive campaign for mayor before coming under state investigation, is still refusing to take responsibility for the scandal that ended his political career — and hinted he might eventually seek a return to public office.
Miami is out of sand.
Last year, Miami-Dade County depleted its offshore sand reserves, meaning miles of beaches that shrink from erosion must be replenished with sand from outside South Florida.
Rebuilding Miami’s beaches after Hurricane Irma will cost millions of dollars, and sand will have to be brought in by hundreds of trucks from a sand mine near Lake Okeechobee due to a longstanding federal law that prohibits local governments from importing foreign sand.
County officials say that sand from the Bahamas can be easily transported to Miami by barge, and importing foreign sand could save taxpayers millions. A bill dubbed the Sand Act that would overturn the restrictions on sand is being sponsored by Republican Sen. Marco Rubio and Democratic Rep. Lois Frankel of West Palm Beach and is cosponsored by every member of Congress from South Florida.
“It’s such an archaic provision in the law, it’s many, many years old,” Frankel said.
“There’s resistance from the trucking and drudging industries because they make money; obviously they are saying they will lose money if there’s legislation,” Frankel said.
Frankel said that no other member of Congress has personally voiced opposition to the proposal, but “a lot of things go on behind the scenes.” One of the largest domestic dredging companies that frequently wins contracts in Florida, Illinois-based Great Lakes Dredge and Lock, is opposed to the proposal and has spent $165,000 in 2017 lobbying Congress on dredging-related issues, according to Senate lobbying records.
A representative for Great Lakes did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Sand Act was introduced at the beginning of this year’s hurricane season, before Irma washed away about 170,000 cubic yards of sand from Miami-Dade’s beaches. The amount of sand washed away, about the equivalent of 12,000 truckloads, was less than expected but will still cost millions to replace.
“We’re very lucky with regards to response for Hurricane Irma, it wasn’t catastrophic for us,” said Paul Voight, co-beach program manager for Miami-Dade County.
Currently, contracts for beach renewal projects in South Florida are awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Dredging and sand companies bid, and the Corps awards the contract. The most recent contract awarded in Miami-Dade County was $8.6 million to truck in 140,000 cubic yards of sand to replenish a stretch of Sunny Isles Beach. The federal government is covering 63 percent of the cost, with the remainder split between Miami Dade-County and the state of Florida.
But Miami-Dade officials argue that the only option left under current law is trucking in sand, because the county’s offshore sand reserve is gone. Other coastal counties in Florida have ample offshore sand reserves that could be dredged, but their governments don’t want to share with Miami.
“We’ve depleted all of our offshore sources of cheap sand,” Voight said. “The problem is the domestic dredging industry is lobbying strongly against it.”