Note: This blog's templates will be updated this afternoon to a responsive design bringing it in line with MiamiHerald.com.

At that time, we will also change to the Facebook commenting system. You will need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment.

August 30, 2017

Confederate generals are history: Hollywood agrees to rename streets

125HollywoodVote31 NEW PPP

@PatriciaMazzei @CTeproff

Acknowledging the painful legacy of slavery and the Civil War, Hollywood commissioners decided Wednesday to rename three streets honoring Confederate generals that for the better part of a century have run through a predominantly black city neighborhood.

After more than five hours of fervent and often tense debate, the City Commission voted 5-1 to rechristen Forrest, Hood and Lee streets, though their new names have yet to be determined.

“This is about what the meaning of community is,” Mayor Josh Levy said. “We don’t endorse hate. We don’t endorse symbols of hate. What hurts you, hurts me. It should hurt all of us.”

Levy, Commissioners Kevin Biederman, Dick Blattner, Debra Case and Linda Sherwood voted in favor. Vice Mayor Traci Callari voted against. A five-vote super-majority was required for approval. Case was out of town and attended the meeting by phone. Commissioner Peter Hernandez walked off the dais in a huff just before the vote, accusing his colleagues of violating procedure.

Hernandez and Callari said residents of the three streets should have gotten a chance to vote on the changes, something the commission opposed last month. Hernandez also suggested the city was acting with hypocrisy by not renaming other Hollywood streets also thought to be named after Confederates. 

“I can’t support cherry-picking, and I can’t support the process, the way it was done,” he said.

More here.

Photo credit: Pedro Portal. el Nuevo Herald

 

Former Doral city official to run for Ros-Lehtinen’s seat as a Republican

EWE01 Enmienda News rk

@alextdaugherty @patriciamazzei

The race to replace retiring U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen keeps getting bigger.

Former Doral Councilwoman Bettina Rodriguez Aguilera will run as a Republican for Ros-Lehtinen’s Miami-based seat in 2018, she told Miami Herald.

“When I saw that she was not going to be running again, I thought that was interesting, and I had several people from the community call me and ask me to consider running,” Rodriguez Aguilera said. “I have been involved in community activism, human rights, economic development and international affairs all my life, and I feel that this is a good fit for me.”

Rodriguez Aguilera, 59, works as an entrepreneur and teaches at Miami Dade College. She was a Doral councilwoman from 2012-2014 and served as the city’s first economic developer.
 
Rodriguez Aguilera said the most important attribute she will bring to Washington is that she is someone who “can listen and cut red tape.”
 
“Bureaucracy is needed but not to the point that they stall businesses,” she said.

Rodriguez Aguilera avoided the word “moderate” when describing her political leanings, describing herself instead as a “common-sense Republican.”

She said she voted for Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential election. That puts her at odds with one of the two announced Republican candidates: Raquel Regalado, the former school board member and Miami-Dade County mayoral candidate, who did not support Trump.

The other announced Republican candidate, Miami-Dade Commissioner Bruno Barreiro, voted for Trump.

“What he did on the Cuba situation with Obama rolling it back was laudable,” Rodriguez Aguilera said. “With my father being a Cuban political prisoner, we needed to get some pride back.”

She also supports the president’s sanctions and tough talk on Venezuela.

“I think that no one is perfect but I think that the president in general has done a good job, though I don’t agree with every single thing he’s done,” Rodriguez Aguilera said.

National Democrats see an opportunity to flip Ros-Lehtinen’s district, which includes most of Miami and Miami Beach. The district voted for Hillary Clinton by nearly 20 percentage points over Trump, making it the most Democratic-leaning district in the country currently held by a Republican in Congress.

Read more here.

Democrats around the country urge Trump to expand TPS to Venezuelans

Week That Was In Latin America Photo Gallery

@alextdaugherty 

Nearly two dozen Democrats from 11 states and the District of Columbia sent a letter to acting Department of Homeland Security secretary Elaine Duke on Tuesday calling for the expansion of Temporary Protected Status for Venezuelans currently in the United States, joining a growing chorus of lawmakers from both parties and Venezuelan activists pushing for the Trump administration to take action. 

Florida lawmakers including Sen. Bill Nelson and Reps. Kathy Castor, Val Demings, Ted Deutch, Lois Frankel, Stephanie Murphy and Debbie Wasserman Schultz signed the letter. 

"Granting TPS in these circumstances is also in line with our national interest," the letter reads. "Venezuelans in the U.S. have not just become a vibrant part of our communities, but have also made important contributions including as lawyers, doctors, and small-business owners. Further, sending these individuals back could spur mass forced migration, destabilizing the region as neighboring Colombia implements its peace accord and as we seek to curb illicit narcotics flows to the United States." 

Donald Trump, who continues to talk tough on immigration, hasn’t indicated that he is open to extending the program to another country.

The TPS program is designed to help individuals affected by “ongoing armed conflict, an environmental disaster, an epidemic or other extraordinary and temporary conditions,” according to the Department of Homeland Security. 

Read the letter here.

Another Bright Futures boost? Florida lawmakers propose higher ed expansions

Galvano and negron

via @clairemcneill

Veto be darned.

Gov. Rick Scott may have nixed a huge higher education bill in June, but Florida lawmakers are already renewing their push to overhaul the state’s higher education system in the coming legislative session, starting with the tuition bills of top students.

Proposed legislation filed by Sen. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, would make permanent the Bright Futures boost that rewards more than 46,500 high-achieving Florida students by paying 100 percent of their tuition and fees at state universities.

Galvano and Senate President Joe Negron, R-Stuart, pushed for that expansion this past session, but the provision was lost with the veto. Students still benefited because money was set aside in the budget. Now Galvano and Negron want to make the change permanent.

They also have their sights set on another Bright Futures expansion, this time benefiting the second-tier Florida Medallion Scholars who could see 75 percent of their tuition and fees paid by the state.

Florida Medallion Scholars used to receive funding for 75 percent of their tuition and fees, but as Bright Futures expanded and the economy contracted, lawmakers cut back. Now Medallion Scholars receive much less, about $2,310 per year, toward tuition and fees that cost about $6,000 at state universities.

Medallion Scholars must have 3.0 weighted GPA; a 26 on the ACT or 1170 on the SAT; and 75 service hours. To hit the higher tier, Florida Academic Scholars, they need a 3.5 weighted GPA; a 29 on ACT or 1290 on the SAT; and 100 service hours.

The new bill would also:

-- Require universities to implement block tuition, which lets students pay a flat rate for tuition per semester, rather than by credit hour. Proponents say this incentivizes students to take more classes and gives them more flexibility, ultimately speeding up the path to graduation.

-- Change the way the state determines which universities deserve extra money for being preeminent, by judging them based on their 4-year graduation rates, rather than 6-year graduation rates.

-- Give a grace period to universities seeking preeminence status when it comes to that metric change. This will benefit the University of South Florida, which is on the cusp of preeminence under current standards. Any university that meets preeminence under current metrics will get to keep that status, and the funding, for 2018-19, regardless of the metric change.

-- “Tighten” university relationships with the leadership, funds and public disclosures of their direct-support organizations.

-- Expand need-based aid.

-- Require universities to identify internship opportunities for students.

-- Establish a program to help universities recruit “world-class” faculty.

Protesters await Hollywood's decision on renaming Confederate streets

105HollywoodVote31 NEW PPP
@CTeproff @PatriciaMazzei

A lone man holding a large Confederate flag was hauled away in handcuffs Wednesday near Hollywood City Hall after he charged — flag first — at demonstrators urging commissioners to rename three local streets, including one honoring a founder of the Ku Klux Klan.

Moments earlier, the man, whom police identified as 22-year-old Christopher Rey Monzon of Hialeah, had engaged in a screaming match against some of the protesters.

“The white man made this country!” he said. “You’re lucky to be here. Florida is my home, and I will defend it.”

At first, he had stood silently by, giving media interviews as protesters holding ”Take Them Down” signs quietly stared at him. A scrum of police officers awaited nearby, ready to defuse any tension.

“These socialists are destroying our history,” he told the Herald, saying the fact that he was the only white nationalist present gave him “stronger resolve.” He gave his name as “Chris Cedeno” and said he was from Hialeah Gardens.

Then, after the shouts, the man broke yellow police tape as he lunged at protesters, said one of them, Cindy Thompson. Police took him down and ripped the flag from his hands. He was later charged with disorderly conduct, aggravated assault and inciting a riot.

“It’s pretty sad we live in a world where this still happens,” Thompson said.

About 150 people had begun gathering under the noontime sun to protest Forrest, Hood and Lee streets, which run through the predominantly black Hollywood neighborhood of Liberia.

Sometime after 4 p.m., commissioners are scheduled to vote on renaming the streets, christened in the 1920s after Gen. Robert E. Lee, who led the Confederate Army; Gen. John Bell Hood, a commander in the Battle of Gettysburg, and Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate lieutenant general said to be the Klan’s first grand wizard.

More here.

Photo credit: Pedro Portal, el Nuevo Herald

Florida Democrats urge state lawmakers to remove Confederate statue in U.S. Capitol

Confederate Statue Florida

@alextdaugherty 

 

The entire Florida Democratic congressional delegation wants Gov. Rick Scott and state lawmakers to remove a statue of Confederate general Edmund Kirby Smith from the U.S. Capitol.

On Wednesday, 11 House Democrats from Florida sent a letter to Scott, State House speaker Richard Corcoran and State Senate president Joe Negron urging the trio to call a one-day special session to replace the statue in September.

“No family visiting our nation's Capitol should have to explain to their child that the statue representing our state honors someone who fought for a philosophy built on hatred, inequality and oppression,” the letter said.

Last year, the state legislature agreed to remove Smith's statue but it remains in National Statuary Hall in Washington, where daily tours are conducted in the Capitol, because lawmakers couldn't agree on a replacement.

But with the recent violent protests in Charlottesville and elsewhere over the legacy of Confederate statues, and debates about streets named after Confederate generals in Florida, Democrats around the country are pushing to remove statues in public places.

Two weeks ago, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Weston, asked state lawmakers to make the change.

“It's time to stop playing games,” Wasserman Schultz said.

Now, Wasserman Schultz is joined by her Democratic colleagues in Washington, including Miami Gardens Rep. Frederica Wilson.

Scott and Corcoran ruled out the possibility of a special session two weeks ago.

“Like most politicians in Washington, the Congresswoman is out of touch,” Corcoran said on Twitter. “We've already made this decision and are now having a conversation about which great Floridian we should honor. The Congresswoman should stop grandstanding and focus on balancing the Federal budget.”

Read more here. 

As Trump talks taxes, Republican group pushes Carlos Curbelo to act

IMG_Economic_Impact_of_I_2_1_8BAO5GJG_L296697696 (4)

@alextdaugherty 

As Donald Trump pushes for lower corporate and personal income tax rates during a speech in Missouri today, a Republican group is urging Miami Rep. Carlos Curbelo to follow suit. 

American Action Network, a group aligned with House leadership, is releasing mailers in 34 congressional districts across the country with the aim of reaching one million voters. In addition to Curbelo, a member of the House tax writing committee, the mailers will target Treasure Coast Rep. Brian Mast. Mast and Curbelo are likely to face competitive and expensive reelection bids in 2018. 

The mailer argues that America's tax code leads to U.S. companies relocating jobs to China. 

“Thousands of good-paying jobs are fleeing to countries like China, the status quo is failing, and it is leaving America’s middle class behind,” said American Action Network executive director Corry Bliss. “Americans are ready to see meaningful, pro-growth tax reform become a reality. That’s why we are urging people across the country to call their member of Congress to pass reforms that will help create more jobs and raise wages here at home.” 

The nation's tax system has not been overhauled since Ronald Reagan's administration and congressional leaders like House speaker Paul Ryan and tax committee chair Kevin Brady are pushing to pass a tax overhaul by the end of the year. 

American Action Network's latest push is part of a $20 million effort to overhaul the tax code. 

View a copy of the mailer here. 

South Florida DREAMers fear possible end of DACA protection

Daca

via @glenngarvin @BrendaMedinar @harrisalexc

Undocumented South Florida immigrants whose parents brought them as children and who’ve been protected from deportation by a federal program known as DACA — Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals — are nervously awaiting word on whether President Donald Trump will extend it or do away with it, a decision that will come within the next few days.

“Everyone is scared. Everyone is talking about hiring attorneys, talking about what they could do if they lose DACA,” said Ximena Bouroncle, a 26-year-old FIU psychology major who came to the United States with her parents when she was 14. “The fear is always there, the fear to lose everything I have worked so hard for ever since I came to this country.”

That could happen as soon as next week, when President Trump must decide whether to cancel DACA or face a lawsuit from 10 states that say the program — which was established by an executive decree by former President Barack Obama — is an unconstitutional abuse of presidential power. The group of Republican state attorneys generals have said they will take the matter to federal court unless the program begins shutting down by Sept. 5.

If DACA is canceled, it could mean that somewhere between 750,000 and 1 million beneficiaries of the program — about 50,000 of them in Florida — could be deported, many of them to countries they don’t even remember.

The politics of DACA are complicated and many experts on both sides of the controversy say it could still survive. And even if it doesn’t, they nearly all agree, its end will be phased in over many months, perhaps even a couple of years, so nobody is likely to face deportation next week. 

But if the program is eliminated, most of the “DACAmented,” as the beneficiaries refer to themselves, will face severe obstacles to staying in the United States, immigration attorneys say.

“Every case is different, so I can’t give blanket advice,” said Randy Sidlosca, a Miami attorney who has been handling DACA clients since the program began in 2012. “But, generally speaking, DACA people are going to face some very tough times if the program is ended.”

More here.

Photo credit: David Santiago, el Nuevo Herald

Ballard firm lands another big Washington lobbying contract

3VZDYKXUH5CHRE3GBSZZBMZ23A
via @learyreports

Lobbyist Brian Ballard has landed another big Washington contract, picking up Halkbank, a Turkish state-owned bank.

Ballard Partners already represents the government of Turkey, which is paying the firm $1.5 million this year, the same as the one-year Halkbank contract inked this week.

Both are overseen by former Democratic Rep. Robert Wexler, who joined the firm as it expanded to Washington this year, Ballard capitalizing on a tight relationship with President Donald Trump.

Already Ballard Partners has taken in more than $3.5 million in income from its Washington operation, with major clients being Amazon.com ($140,000); American Road & Transport Builders Association ($200,000); Reynolds American ($220,000) Geo Group ($250,000); and U.S. Sugar ($300,000), according to records.

“I would imagine if Hillary Clinton were elected I wouldn’t be here,” Ballard told the Tampa Bay Times earlier this year. Read that profile below -- and questions raised about Trump‘s vow to “drain the swamp."

--ALEX LEARY, Tampa Bay Times

When Marco Rubio faced heat for opposing Superstorm Sandy aid

EFTHRYMOXJHGHB4DQLMCCUOBMU
via @learyreports

“Stay home.”

That was an irate New York Rep. Peter King to Florida Sen. Marco Rubio after Rubio opposed a nearly $51 billion aid package for Superstorm Sandy in 2013.

“Guys like Marco Rubio in Florida, with all the money that your people have gotten in Florida over the years from every hurricane that came along, and this guy has got the nerve to vote against money for New York and then come up here and try to raise money?” King said on Morning Joe.

“You know, he can forget it. He can stay home.”

Rubio, who was then feeling out a run for president, argued that the aid package was stuffed with pork, an argument echoed by numerous other conservatives, including Texas, Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn and most Texas GOP House members.

Now Texas is facing an epic catastrophe with Hurricane Harvey and the debate over aid has resurfaced.

Rubio’s office did not respond to a question Tuesday posed by the Tampa Bay Times whether he would seek any sort of conditions for Harvey money. In 2013, Rubio did vote for a smaller Sandy aid but that’s not what was approved.

In a statement explaining his opposition, Rubio said emergency assistance funding shouldn’t be “derailed by efforts to find spending cuts to offset them,” but “we do have a responsibility to make sure this emergency spending is ultimately going to disaster relief, and not to other pet projects. Unfortunately, the Hurricane Sandy supplemental bill goes far beyond emergency relief to impacted victims and communities, which is why I voted no on final passage.”

(The Washington Post’s fact checker found the pork claim doesn’t hold up.)

Two other Florida lawmakers opposed the Sandy money: Rep. Ron DeSantis and Ted Yoho.

DeSantis also did not respond to questions; Yoho was traveling overseas.

King says he won’t seek revenge. “1 bad turn doesn’t deserve another,” he wrote on Twitter. “I won’t abandon Texas the way Ted Cruz did New York.”

--ALEX LEARY, Tampa Bay Times

Photo credit: Associated Press