A quick Saturday update:
Not surprisingly, elite pass-rushing defensive end and Miami native Elvis Dumervil would have interest in joining the Dolphins, his agent told us this morning before being replaced as his agent.
But Marty Magid said the Dolphins so far have not called about Dumervil, who was released Friday by Denver after Dumervil returned paperwork agreeing to a paycut minutes after a deadline to accept it.
[SATURDAY 5:30 P.M. UPDATE: Dumervil has parted ways with Magid this afternoon in the wake of Friday's fiasco with the Broncos.]
Before Dumervil told Magid he was switching agents, Magid said “a handful” of teams had called about Dumervil and he will “reach out” to teams he “fits well with” or has interest in. He said Miami would be one of those teams. Now his new agent can do that.
Magid said he spoke to Denver Friday night, but the Broncos did not clarify whether they have interest in re-signing him at this point.
It would be tricky – though not impossible - for the Dolphins to both re-sign Jake Long (Miami was still waiting on a decision from Long on Saturday morning) AND sign Dumervil and have money left over for the draft and to fill other needs, such as cornerback.
The Dolphins were feeling more hopeful about their chances of keeping Long, who reportedly spent part of Saturday's at the team's facility.
Dumervil, 29, had agreed to take a paycut from $12 million to $8 million with Denver before Friday’s bizarre turn of events. The Denver Post reported Saturday that the Broncos asked the league office if it would honor the verbal agreement it had with Dumervil to restructure his contract. The league said no. Had the Broncos not released Dumervil by Friday's 2 p.m. deadline, his $12 million salary would have become guaranteed for 2013.
Now, the Broncos would face additional salary cap consequences by re-signing him.
NFL union cheif DeMaurice Smith today asked for an inquiry into the matter.
Dumervil, who attended Miami Jackson High, is undersized as a 5-11, 260 pound defensive end, but his production has been exceptional: 17 sacks in 2009, 9.5 in 2011 and 11 in 2012, plus 54 tackles and six forced fumbles last season. (He missed 2010 with an injury.)
He is expected to visit interested teams after the conclusion of next week's owners meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz. Coaches and GMs attend those meetings.
The Dolphins have explored adding another pass rusher, but as of Saturday morning, nothing had materialized to the serious stage. Michael Bennett, who visited Thursday, signed with Seattle, and the Dolphins haven’t advanced initial discussions with former FIU and San Diego linebacker Antwan Barnes.
The agent for John Abraham (10 sacks for Atlanta last season) said Saturday that Miami has made no offer to his client. According to a credible source (not his agent), Abraham visited the Dolphins Tuesday night, and Miami is still a possibility for him. He also visited the 49ers and Seahawks.
### It looks like the Dolphins will address cornerback in the draft, but it would make sense to add a veteran, too. Besides Brent Grimes (who visited Friday), here are the other veteran corners left: Quentin Jammer, DeAngelo Hall, Antoine Winfield, Nnambi Asomugha, Sheldon Brown, Terence Newman, Nate Clements, Tracy Porter, Captain Munnerlyn, Drayton Florence, Kelvin Hayden, Pacman Jones, EJ Biggers, Shawntae Spencer, Cedric Griffin, Rashean Mathis, Joselio Hanson, DJ Moore, Mike Jenkins, Marcus Trufant, Brandon McDonald, Ryan Mouton, Jacob Lacey, Terrence McGee.
Check back later for a Dolphins-heavy Sunday buzz column.
### No player has taken more subtle tweaks at the Heat than Boston guard Jason Terry in the past couple years. His latest was delivered Friday, when he said of the Heat’s winning streak: “Not really impressed with it or anything that they do.”
Perhaps Terry is still miffed about missing that shot to end Game 6 of the Heat’s series-clinching win in the 2006 Finals in Dallas. Or about Miami pursuing Ray Allen instead of Terry in free agency last summer.