By David Clarke
I wouldn’t have said this five years ago, but now in 2012 I’m happy to state that there’s no better place to have a wonderful life and rewarding digital career than South Florida. With exciting work, multicultural digital experts and the ability to live in paradise, South Florida stands out. Our digital community is extremely active, and the real challenge is finding more talent to fill the myriad of open positions.
Think we’re not the next digital hub? Here are nine reasons why South Florida is the best place to work in the country for digital professionals:
1) Better quality of life: As the digital industry ages, our needs change. Having a family and raising kids in Silicon Valley or New York City is an exercise in compromise and penny-pinching. Why
face such challenges when South Florida’s unparalleled quality of work and life is an option?
2) Digital job variety: A smorgasbord, if you will. From one of the country’s fastest-growing mobile companies, 3Cinteractive, to the world’s hottest fitness company, Zumba, to the global cruise
leader, Carnival Cruise Lines, hundreds of digital jobs are available.
3) Enjoy the wide open space: Tired of cramped quarters? By relocating to South Florida, you’re almost guaranteed more square footage and an upgraded work space.
4) Work hard AND play hard: This lofty goal is achievable in South Florida – what better place to have a satisfying career while enjoying the remarkable scenery? In fact, studies have shown that if you’re happy outside of work you’ll probably enjoy your working hours even more.
5) Career growth: Companies are looking for both junior- and senior-level talent, so opportunities abound. If you’re willing to put the time in, you can rise up the ranks.
6) Sophisticated challenges: South Florida is home to industry leaders that are extremely active in the digital realm, and their award-winning work is done by locally based agencies.
7) Multicultural and international character: Miami is the “Gateway to Latin America” and South Florida houses many headquarters for the Southeastern U.S. This means most of the digital jobs will be national and international in scope. Additionally, working with multicultural teams adds a unique global perspective that enhances effectiveness.
8) Livable cities: South Florida’s cities are some of the most livable in the world with beautiful weather, stunning beaches and thriving urban cores. Miami was named a Top 10 Best Place to Live and Ft. Lauderdale is increasingly becoming attractive to young professionals.
9) Happy @work: South Florida professionals are happy people. In fact, Miami was recently rated the #1 Happiest City for Jobs, beating out the likes of New York, San Francisco and Boston as the choice place to make a career move.
The last few years have been strong for South Florida’s digital community. We saw an influx of talent from inside and outside the U.S., our national recognition as a digital hub is mounting and
companies within the region are expanding their marketing budgets. This is an opportune time to make a career move, and as a New York transplant I can tell you that it’s well worth it.