By Demian Bellumio
More than 30 startups posted videos to social media telling viewers why they deserved to be part of SIME MIA, a highly anticipated technology conference that will be held Dec. 3-4 at New World Center in Miami Beach, as part of a Knight Foundation Entrepreneurial Fellowship contest.
Participants had to create a video of 60 seconds or less to convince the judges that they deserved to attend SIME MIA more than anyone else. Winners were chosen based on social media engagement, and will be notified of their achievements.
The chosen companies are:
- * JoinUpz (Guatemala): an engagement platform that matches initiatives with people who can make them happen.
- * LearnerNation (Miami): an innovative learning platform.
- * Mom&.CO (Miami): where moms can find tips, guides and training to organize and optimize their lives.
- * Peekadso (Miami): a resource for finding businesses and services near you.
- * RatioKontakt (Miami and Germany): an Internet service provider.
- * Sportsmania (Miami): a complete source of team news (Web and mobile).
- * SWIK (Miami): an app that connects people who want to make environmental changes.
- * SWOL (Miami): operates a fast-growing online soccer technology platform, uniting fans from around the world.
- * YourbizNinja (Miami): a collection of problem-solving experts across.
- * YellowPepper (Miami): a pioneer in mobile banking and payments in Latin America.
These 10 Knight Entrepreneurial Fellows each will receive two tickets to attend SIME MIA and a one-on-one coaching session with an international investor.
In the spirit of entrepreneurship — and because we believe that the only thing worse than starting something and failing is not starting something at all — those companies who submitted a video to SIME MIA by the deadline of midnight Nov. 20 each will receive one ticket to the event. They will also mingle closely with industry leaders, such as Fon’s Martin Varsavsky, Gigaom’s Paul Walborsky, and Caterina Fake, CEO of Findery, co-founder of Flickr and Hunch, and others. They will also be part of an exclusive list of people invited to the feature exhibit “Viewpoint of Billions” by David Datuna for Glass, which will be on display during the first day of the event.
Demian Bellumio is founding partner of MIA Collective, COO of Senzari, a serial entrepreneur and an angel investor.