The pitch event connects venture capitalist and angel investors with a group of the most disruptive companies in South Florida. The event features FIU students, faculty/staff, alumni and members of the Miami community whose companies span innovation in consumer products, medical devices, social networks and cloud computing. This group represents the second cohort of the 14-week StartUP FIU Empower Accelerator program.
“I am truly inspired by the discoveries and innovations that are coming through StartUP FIU's Empower Accelerator and especially by the startups that will take to the stage on May 9,” said Emily Gresham, Cofounder of StartUP FIU and an Assistant Vice President of the University. “One of the missions of StartUP FIU is to commercialize the intellectual property developed here in South Florida and each cohort brings us closer to that objective.”
The 14 companies that will pitch at Graham Center Ballroom on May 9 include:
· Benbo: The most interactive, simple and easy to use business networking app that will help you create, customize, exchange and scan business cards.
· Boatrax: Boatrax facilitates the logging experience for boat owners with a mobile app that allows them to organize their logs and share them with local service providers.
· Cargo42: Cargo42 is a marketplace for trucking committed to reducing idle time and capacity.
· Clutch Couture Bags: Clutch Couture Bags is a designer handbag rental service that is changing the way fashion-lovers experience luxury.
· Extreme Weather: A national network of weather education-entertainment-resilience centers. Visitors will experience dangerous weather through immersive, experiential technologies.
· Give Wink: First ever subscription box service for grandparents, delivering an assortment of age appropriate essentials and goodies on a bi-monthly basis.
· Master Honey: We empower low-income women to start their own micro beekeeping business and sell us the urban honey they produce for commercialization.
· MmMaps: Public Transportation for Tourism
· NIROS: NIROS Technology Inc. is developing a safe hand-held optical scanner to help wound care specialist image under the skin, to improve prognosis in wounds healing process
· Renu Shops: Redesigning retail, Removing blight, and Empowering communities with reused shipping containers.
· SkillCourt: SkillCourt application helps you create, perform and compare through our wireless LED Target pads.
· StealthSimulation: Bridging the gap between healthcare education and technology by engineering solutions for clinical simulation.
· Viera Academy: A free Test-Preparation Playground, mentored by Guinness record holders committed to helping students play, learn and train like Champions do.
· Wrocket: Teaching organizations recruit Millennials in their language! Candidates and recruiters video, swipe and chat themselves to the perfect match
Applications for StartUP FIU’s Cohort 3 are currently open. You can apply at startup.fiu.edu to be a part of the Empower Accelerator.
StartUP FIU, a university-wide initiative, has two programs currently in operation. StartUP FIU Empower Accelerator is a formal14-week program and StartUP FIU FOOD is a year-round food incubator. A third program, StartUP FIU West Kendall, an incubator focusing on software and hardware technology, will open later in 2017.
- Submitted by StarUP FIU